Canonical transformation in classical mechanics

In summary: I found a similar problem solved and it helped me to understand the notation used.In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the use of ##\delta## and ##d## in a Canonical Transformation. The speaker was initially stuck and confused about the difference between the two, but after some discussion and hints, they were able to solve the problem. The key was to use the linear independence of q, Q, and t, and subtract ##Hdt## on both sides of the canonical transformation definition.
dRic2
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Give the proof of the equation
$$ H' = H + \frac { \partial S } { \partial t }$$
By proceeding as follow. Leave the time t as independent variable and consider a canonical transformation in which the time appears as a parameter. Then obtain the above relation by distinguishing between ##dS## in the canonical integral and ##\delta S## in the definition of canonical transformation. In the first case time is varied, in the second case not.
Relevant Equations
Canonical integral:
$$A = \int ( \sum p_i dq_i - Hdt)$$
Definition of canonical transformation:
$$ \sum p_i \delta q_i = \sum P_i \delta Q_i + \delta S$$
I'm stuck from the beginning. I though I understood the difference between ## \delta## and ##d##, but apparently I was wrong, because I don't know how to exploit it here...

Any hint would be greatly appreciated

Thank
Ric

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you have written correct defination of Canonical Transformation?

##p_i\delta q_i -H= P_i\delta Q_i-H' + dS/dt##

In this case ,the equation is easy to derive by using chain rule to S(q,Q,t) and using linear independence of ##\dot q##and ##p##

Abhishek11235 said:
Are you sure you have written correct defination of Canonical
This is the definition found in my book and it makes sense. It seems different from yours though

dRic2 said:
This is the definition found in my book and it makes sense. It seems different from yours though
Ok. Then use the following:

$$\delta S= dS/dt ~dt + dS/dq ~dq + dS/dQ ~dQ$$

Now subtract ##Hdt## on both sides in your defination of Canonical Transformation

Now use the linear independence of q,Q and t

Your notation is confusion me. ##\delta S## is not ##dS##. ##\delta## is used to address variations and, since the problem asks to consider time as a parameter, you don't have to vary wrt to time. ##dS## is obviously the total differential.

Even if you meant ##dS## I don't know how to proceed.

Solved it. I was very confused by the notation of the book.

What is a canonical transformation?

A canonical transformation is a transformation of the coordinates and momenta in a classical mechanical system that preserves the equations of motion and the Hamiltonian. In other words, it is a change of variables that maintains the underlying physical dynamics of the system.

Why are canonical transformations important in classical mechanics?

Canonical transformations are important because they allow us to simplify and analyze complex classical mechanical systems. They also provide a way to find new conserved quantities, which can help us understand the behavior of a system.

How is a canonical transformation different from a regular transformation?

A canonical transformation differs from a regular transformation in that it preserves the Poisson brackets between the coordinates and momenta of a system. This means that the new variables are still related to each other in the same way as the original variables, allowing for the equations of motion to be expressed in terms of the new variables.

What are the types of canonical transformations?

There are two main types of canonical transformations: point transformations and generating function transformations. Point transformations involve a direct change of coordinates and momenta, while generating function transformations involve the use of a generating function to obtain the new coordinates and momenta.

How do I know if a transformation is canonical?

To determine if a transformation is canonical, we can use the Poisson bracket to check if it is preserved. If the Poisson bracket between the new coordinates and momenta is the same as the original Poisson bracket, then the transformation is canonical. Additionally, the Hamiltonian of the system should also remain unchanged under a canonical transformation.