1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canonical Transformation (two degrees of freedom)

1. Dec 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Point transformation in a system with 2 degrees of freedom is: $$Q_1=q_1^2\\Q_2=q_q+q_2$$
    a) find the most general $P_1$ and $P_2$ such that overall transformation is canonical
    b) Show that for some $P_1$ and $P_2$ the hamiltonain $$H=\frac{a}{2}(\frac{p_1-p_2}{wq_1})^2+bp_2+c(q_1+q_2)^2$$
    (Note: a,b,c, constant) can be transformed in a way that $Q_1$ and $Q_2$ could be ignored.
    c) Finally solve the problem and find equations for $q_1,q_2,p_1$ and $p_2$ in terms of t and their initial values.

2. Relevant equations
    -Symplictic approach

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) in order to find the transformation for $P$'s I use the symplectic approach:
    in this approach we have the following condition for the canonical transformations $$\tilde{M}JM=J$$
    where M is the matrix:
    $$M=\begin{bmatrix} \frac{\partial Q_1}{\partial q_1}&\frac{\partial Q_1}{\partial q_2}&\frac{\partial Q_1}{\partial p_1}&\frac{\partial Q_1}{\partial p_2}\\\frac{\partial Q_2}{\partial q_1}&\frac{\partial Q_2}{\partial q_2}&\frac{\partial Q_2}{\partial p_1}&\frac{\partial Q_2}{\partial p_2}\\\frac{\partial P_1}{\partial q_1}&\frac{\partial P_1}{\partial q_2}&\frac{\partial P_1}{\partial p_1}&\frac{\partial P_1}{\partial p_2}\\\frac{\partial P_2}{\partial q_1}&\frac{\partial P_2}{\partial q_2}&\frac{\partial
    P_2}{\partial p_1}&\frac{\partial P_2}{\partial p_2}\end{bmatrix}$$
    and $$J=\begin{bmatrix} 0&0&1&0\\0&0&0&1\\-1&0&0&0\\0&-1&0&0\end{bmatrix}$$
    so applying the symplectic methods conditions I get the following equations:$$\frac{\partial P_2}{\partial p_2}=1\\\frac{\partial P_2}{\partial p_1}=0\\\frac{\partial P_1}{\partial p_2}=\frac{-1}{2q_1}\\\frac{\partial P_1}{\partial p_1}=\frac{1}{2q_1}$$
    which then gives me the following most general transformations for $P_1$ and $P_2$ :
    $$P_1=\frac{1}{2q_1}(p_1-p_2)+g(q_1,q_2)\\P_2=p_2+f(q_1,q_2)\\2q_1 \frac{\partial g}{\partial q_2}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial q_2}-\frac{\partial f}{\partial q_1}$$
    b) this part is very simple if we choose $$P_1=\frac{p_1-p_2}{2q_1}\\g(q_1,q_2)=0$$and $$P_2=p_2+\frac{c}{b}(q_1+q_2)^2\\f(q_1,q_2)=\frac{c}{b}(q_1+q_2)^2$$
    we see that with these choices the three equations we found earlier are satisfied. and the Hamiltonian becomes:$$H=\frac{a}{2}P_1^2+bP_2$$
    But I don't know how I can proceed for solving part c). Any help is appreciated. Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the Hamiltonian, so you can just write down the equations of motion and solve them.

4. Dec 4, 2015 #3
    so using the Hamiltonian equations of motion I have: $$\dot{Q_1}=\frac{\partial H}{\partial P_1}=aP_1 \Longrightarrow \frac{d(q_1^2)}{dt}=2q_1\dot{q_1}=aP_1\\\dot{Q_2}=\frac{\partial H}{\partial P_2}=b \Longrightarrow \dot{q_1}+\dot{q_2}=b\\\dot{P_1}=0\\\dot{P_2}=0$$ So I guess these are the equations that I am supposed to solve. But there is one more thing that I don't get; the problem hasn't given us anything on initial conditions but still wants the equations of q,p,t in terms of t and Initial values.Thank you very much again.

5. Nov 27, 2016 #4
    $$P_1$$ is a constant of motion, so you can integrate the right side to get $$Q_1 = aP_1 \cdot t$$.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted