1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't Identify Error in Calculation

1. Oct 28, 2016 #1

RBF

[Mentor's note: This thread was moved to the homework section from General Physics, so it doesn't use the template.]

Going over a basic kinematics problem with the prompt stating vi=0, x=1000m and Δt=5 and vf and a need to be solved using average v and a. Calculated vf=200ms and a=40m/s/s. But then I also calculated for the same variables using x=.5(Δv)t and all turned wonky and I can't figure out why. Solving for vf=(2)(1000m)(1/5) I get 400m/s. Any insight into what error(s) Iam making?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2016 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Your first calculation looks to be wrong. Show more work on how you got to vf=200 m/s and a = 40m/s^2 and we will figure out where your error is.

4. Oct 28, 2016 #3

RBF

I used Δx/Δt to get vf with my initial time and displacement set as 0. 1000m/5s=200m/s. I calculated average acceleration using a=(vf-vi)/(tf-ti) initals values both at 0 (200m/s)/5s to get a=40m/s/s.

5. Oct 28, 2016 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Using Δx/Δt will give you the average velocity, not the final velocity. If the initial velocity is zero, the average velocity is 200 m/s, and the acceleration is constant, what is the final velocity?

6. Oct 28, 2016 #5

RBF

Not given, which made me rethink my approach. Should have used x=vi(t)+(1/2) at2 to solve for acceleration and then use that value for vf=vi+at.

7. Oct 28, 2016 #6

phyzguy

Science Advisor

It doesn't need to be given. You should be able to figure it out given:
    (1) Initial velocity = 0
    (2) Average velocity = 200 m/s
    (3) Acceleration is constant

That's how I would have done it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted