Can't integrate the surface area of revolving curve the normal way

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
aleksbooker
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the area of the surface generated by revolving the curve

[itex]x=\frac{e^y + e^{-y} }{2}[/itex]

from 0 [itex]\leq[/itex] y [itex]\leq[/itex] ln(2) about the y-axis.

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried the normal route first...

g(y) = x = [itex]\frac{1}{2} (e^y + e^{-y})[/itex]
g'(y) = dx/dy = [itex]\frac{1}{2} (e^y - e^{-y})[/itex]

S = [itex]\int 2\pi \frac{1}{2} (e^y + e^{-y}) \sqrt{1+(e^y - e^{-y})^2} dy[/itex]

S = [itex]\pi \int (e^y + e^{-y}) \sqrt{\frac{1}{4}e^{2y}+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{4}e^{-2y} } dy[/itex]

S = [itex]\pi \int (e^y + e^{-y}) \sqrt{\frac{1}{4} (e^y+e^{-y})^2} dy[/itex]

S = [itex]\pi \int (e^y + e^{-y}) \frac {1}{2} (e^y+e^{-y}) dy[/itex]

But then I got stuck here...

S = [itex]\frac{1}{2} \pi \int (e^y + e^{-y})^2 dy[/itex]

How should I proceed? Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
aleksbooker said:

Homework Statement



Find the area of the surface generated by revolving the curve

[itex]x=\frac{e^y + e^{-y} }{2}[/itex]

from 0 [itex]\leq[/itex] y [itex]\leq[/itex] ln(2) about the y-axis.

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried the normal route first...

g(y) = x = [itex]\frac{1}{2} (e^y + e^{-y})[/itex]
g'(y) = dx/dy = [itex]\frac{1}{2} (e^y - e^{-y})[/itex]

S = [itex]\int 2\pi \frac{1}{2} (e^y + e^{-y}) \sqrt{1+(e^y - e^{-y})^2} dy[/itex]

I think this should be
[tex] S = \int_0^{\ln 2} 2\pi \frac 12 (e^y + e^{-y}) \sqrt{1 + \frac14 (e^y - e^{-y})^2}\,dy[/tex]

S = [itex]\pi \int (e^y + e^{-y}) \sqrt{\frac{1}{4}e^{2y}+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{4}e^{-2y} } dy[/itex]

And now missing factor of 1/4 has appeared (but the limits are still missing).

S = [itex]\pi \int (e^y + e^{-y}) \sqrt{\frac{1}{4} (e^y+e^{-y})^2} dy[/itex]

S = [itex]\pi \int (e^y + e^{-y}) \frac {1}{2} (e^y+e^{-y}) dy[/itex]But then I got stuck here...

S = [itex]\frac{1}{2} \pi \int (e^y + e^{-y})^2 dy[/itex]

How should I proceed? Thanks in advance.

[itex](e^y + e^{-y})^2 = e^{2y} + 2 + e^{-2y}[/itex]...
 
@pasmith, thanks for your response.

I forgot how much I hate working with e. Thanks for pointing out how simple that really was.

Here's what I was doing:

S = [itex]\frac{1}{2}\pi \int (e^{2y} + 2 + e^{-2y}) dy[/itex]

Then, breaking it up into three separate integrals and working with just the first one...

S = [itex]\frac{1}{2}\pi \int (e^{2y})[/itex]

S = [itex]\frac{1}{2}\pi \frac{1}{2y+1} e^{2y+1}[/itex] from 0 to ln(2)
 
aleksbooker said:
@pasmith, thanks for your response.

I forgot how much I hate working with e. Thanks for pointing out how simple that really was.

Here's what I was doing:

S = [itex]\frac{1}{2}\pi \int (e^{2y} + 2 + e^{-2y}) dy[/itex]

Then, breaking it up into three separate integrals and working with just the first one...

S = [itex]\frac{1}{2}\pi \int (e^{2y})[/itex]

S = [itex]\frac{1}{2}\pi \frac{1}{2y+1} e^{2y+1}[/itex] from 0 to ln(2)

No.
[tex] \int e^{ay}\,dy = \frac{e^{ay}}a[/tex]