1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't remember how I got these answers

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    The kicker on a football team can give the ball an initial speed of 26.2 m/s. If he is to score a field goal from a point 42.2 m in front of goalposts whose horizontal bar is 3.75 m above the ground, what is the minimum angle above the horizontal he must kick the ball?

I was suppose to calculate the minimum and maximum angles.

I got 24.3 and 70.8.

I set up this equation:
    xf=xi+vi*cos(theta)t
    yf=yi+vi*sin(theta)t+4.9t^2

if you solve x time, and then sub it in, it comes out to

yf=yi+tan(theta)x+(4.9x^2/v^2)tan^2(theta)

3.75=0+tan(theta)42.2+(4.9(42.2)^2/26.2^2)tan^2(theta)

I'm not sure where I'm making the error.

I think I did this right, we were told to use the quadratic formula and treat the tan as variables. I'm not really sure what I did after that however.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2007 #2

You have made a mistake in deriving the final formula. Try deriving the formula again.

4. Sep 20, 2007 #3
    I re-derived it and got the same thing.

5. Sep 20, 2007 #4
    I'm not really finding an error, it must be something I missed at the very beginning.

Would you be referring to the 4.9's position within the parantheses. I didn't have it like that in my calculations.

6. Sep 20, 2007 #5
    Ok let me tell you that the equation is

y = [tex]\tan\theta[/tex]x - [tex]\frac{gx^2}{2v^2\cos^2\theta}[/tex]

7. Sep 20, 2007 #6
    yes, but doesn't 1/cos^2=1+tan^2

ahhh i forgot to sub in 1+tan^2

8. Sep 20, 2007 #7
    Of course it is.But you didnt substitute it. Ok,so got the solution.

9. Sep 20, 2007 #8
    Since the hint was to plug that back into the quadratic formula. I'm just not sure what the C value would be.

10. Sep 20, 2007 #9
    I'm still getting an answer that's way off

11. Sep 21, 2007 #10
    Cmon its taking too long.Its now just a quadratic equation.You can solve it now with much ease.But if you are not able to get then i am here.

I have got the answer but i cannot give it to you as it will break the forum rules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?