Projectile motion of a football

In summary, to score a field goal from a point 42.2 m in front of goalposts whose horizontal bar is 3.75 m above the ground, the kicker must kick the ball at an angle of approximately 5.06 degrees or 26 degrees above the horizontal. This can be calculated by solving the equations 42.2= cos(theta)*26.2t and 3.75= sin(theta)*26.2t-4.9t^2, or alternatively, 42.2= cos(theta)*26.2t and 0= sin(theta)*26.2-4.9t.
chaotixmonjuish
The kicker on a football team can give the ball an initial speed of 26.2 m/s. If he is to score a field goal from a point 42.2 m in front of goalposts whose horizontal bar is 3.75 m above the ground, what is the minimum and maximum angle above the horizontal he must kick the ball?

I figured out this much

ax=0
ay= -9.8
vx= sin(theta)*26.2
vy= cos(theta)*26.2
x= sin(theta)*26.2x
y= cos(theta)*26.2x-4.9x^2

and I think

3.75= cos(theta)*26.2x-4.9x^2

My first attempt at an answer yielded 5.06 and 26.something. I tried using arctan(3.75/42.2) to get an angle. I'm not really sure how to approach this problem since theta is missing.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By 'x', do you mean time? I'm a little confused by 'x' when it is used for multiplication along with as a variable...

yes, x for time

You have the vx, vy mixed...

It should be:
vx= cos(theta)*26.2
vy= sin(theta)*26.2

So the two equation become (I'm going to switch to t becomes we have another x already :wink:):

42.2= cos(theta)*26.2t
3.75= sin(theta)*26.2t-4.9t^2

solve these to get theta.

Then you also should solve:
42.2= cos(theta)*26.2t
0= sin(theta)*26.2t-4.9t^2

For this case, the second equation simplifies to:
0= sin(theta)*26.2-4.9t

by dividing both sides by t.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a form of motion in which an object, such as a football, is thrown or projected into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity alone. It follows a curved path and can be described using principles of physics, such as velocity, acceleration, and angle of projection.

2. How does the shape of a football affect its projectile motion?

The shape of a football, with its pointed ends and spherical body, can affect its projectile motion by creating different amounts of air resistance as it moves through the air. This can change the trajectory and distance of the ball, making it an important factor in the game of football.

3. What factors can influence the trajectory of a football in projectile motion?

The trajectory of a football in projectile motion can be influenced by several factors, including the initial velocity and angle of projection, the shape and weight of the ball, and external forces such as air resistance and wind. The height from which the ball is thrown and the surface on which it lands can also play a role.

4. How is the distance traveled by a football in projectile motion calculated?

The distance traveled by a football in projectile motion can be calculated using the formula: d = v*t*cos(theta), where d is the distance, v is the initial velocity, t is the time, and theta is the angle of projection. This formula assumes no air resistance and a level surface. However, in real-life situations, other factors may need to be taken into account.

5. How is the trajectory of a football affected by gravity?

Gravity is the most significant force affecting the trajectory of a football in projectile motion. As the ball moves through the air, it is constantly pulled towards the center of the Earth by gravity, causing it to follow a curved path. The angle of projection and the initial velocity also play a role in determining the effect of gravity on the ball's trajectory.