Searching for Quantum Mechanics Lecture on Delayed Choice Experiment

In summary, the conversation discussed a video about a quantum mechanics experiment with small and large envelopes, which may have been an instance of delayed choice. The video was of low resolution and the person speaking would like to find it again. Another person mentioned a Bayesian statistics problem, but clarified that it was not related to quantum mechanics. They also shared a link to a post discussing delayed choice and mentioned that it was one person's opinion. The conversation then shifted to discussing the best source for information on delayed choice, with some suggesting papers and others mentioning a physicist named Hossenfelder. There was some disagreement about her views and her value in the scientific community. Ultimately, the conversation ended with a discussion about open
kesha1
TL;DR Summary
Small and large envelops quantum mechanics experiment.
Hi everybody.
Some years ago I came across a video on youtube where they talked about an experiment with small and large envelops, when the small ones were placed into the large ones and then it resulted in something interesting.
It might have been an instance of delayed choice, but I am not sure.
The video was of a "popular" quantum mechanics lecture with a very low resolution.
I really like that example and would love to listen or read about it again.
Please let me know if you remember something like that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes tistemfnp, DrChinese, berkeman and 1 other person
For "delayed choice" this is the best source :cool::

watch

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
tistemfnp said:
For "delayed choice" this is the best source :cool::

watch
No, it is not. It is one person's opinion.

PeterDonis said:
No, it is not. It is one person's opinion.

Mhhh, just she uses the same argument (correlation) for the "interference pattern" (what it's actually not) that you just very used for explaining why there is no interference in entangled photons.

What's wrong about her "opinion", may I ask? (Actually I just understood your argument as I watched her video long before. It astonishes me to hear one argument in one context and have it ignored in a similar one.)

tistemfnp said:
What's wrong about her "opinion", may I ask?
I didn't say it was wrong. I said it was her opinion. You should not be referring someone to a post that's one person's opinion and saying it's "the best source". The best source would be an actual experimental paper describing what was done and what results were obtained.

PeterDonis said:
The best source would be an actual experimental paper describing what was done and what results were obtained.

@article{jacques2007experimental,
title={Experimental realization of Wheeler's delayed-choice gedanken experiment},
author={Jacques, Vincent and Wu, E and Grosshans, Fr{\'e}d{\'e}ric and Treussart, Fran{\c{c}}ois and Grangier, Philippe and Aspect, Alain and Roch, Jean-Fran{\c{c}}ois},
journal={Science},
volume={315},
number={5814},
pages={966--968},
year={2007},
publisher={American Association for the Advancement of Science}
}

@article{kim2000delayed,
title={Delayed “choice” quantum eraser},
author={Kim, Yoon-Ho and Yu, Rong and Kulik, Sergei P and Shih, Yanhua and Scully, Marlan O},
journal={Physical Review Letters},
volume={84},
number={1},
pages={1},
year={2000},
publisher={APS}
}

These are the papers. But they are only digestible with the explanations from Hossenfelder IMHO.

tistemfnp said:
this is the best source

"Hossenfelder" and "the best" does not go along well together...

• Love
  • Haha
Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
weirdoguy said:
Hossenfelder" and "the best" does not go along well together...

This is just because she actively reflects what others assume to be carved in stone. And some do not appreciate others thinking and like it more to reflect theories like repititions in a bible, what preserves them from developping own thoughts. Of course this is the opposite of science, which utterly depends on reflecting theory by continued verification and falsification and connected to that - discussion. I don‘t agree with everything she says and her over-confidence sometimes annoys me. But I think her presence is very valuable for scientific progress. The added smiley…

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
tistemfnp said:
This is just because she actively reflects what others assume to be carved in stone. And some do not appreciate others thinking and like it more to reflect theories like repititions in a bible, what preserves them from developping own thoughts. Of course this is the opposite of science, which utterly depends on reflecting theory by continued verification and falsification and connected to that - discussion. I don‘t agree with everything she says and her over-confidence sometimes annoys me. But I think her presence is very valuable for scientific progress. The added smiley…
You shouldn't confuse an open mind with a maverick position. Scientists who hold a mainstream opinion are not necessarily guilty of accepting science like "repetitions in a bible". An example of an original thinker who works very much within mainstream theory is Scott Aaronson. Included in this blog post are his thoughts on Hossenfelder's theory of superdeterminism.

https://scottaaronson.blog/?p=6215

In terms of making scientific progress, I favour Aaronson over Hossenfelder.

Likes tistemfnp
PeroK said:
Scientists who hold a mainstream opinion are not necessarily guilty of accepting science like "repetitions in a bible".
What I of course didn‘t state. Not criticizing Hossenfelder would be the bible position ;-). My point was about lowering people per se, just because they try to reflect.

Her stance on super-determinism isn‘t helpful. Personally I don‘t go along with it and think it‘s flawed.

tistemfnp said:
What I of course didn‘t state. Not criticizing Hossenfelder would be the bible position ;-). My point was about lowering people per se, just because they try to reflect.

Her stance on super-determinism isn‘t helpful. Personally I don‘t go along with it and think it‘s flawed.
Okay, perhaps something was lost in translation.

My favourite, from a didactical point of view, is

https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0106078v1
https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevA.65.033818

because for this the most complicated theory you need is an understanding of Fraunhofer diffraction of coherent light at a double slit and the workings of quarter-wave plates and polarization measurements and simple manipulations of bras and kets of a two-level system.

Here's my version for a lecture (given as my "habilitation colloquium"). It's understandable at the introductory QM level:

https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/habil-coll-talk-en.pdf

Likes tistemfnp

1. What is the Delayed Choice Experiment in Quantum Mechanics?

The Delayed Choice Experiment is a thought experiment in quantum mechanics that was proposed by physicist John Archibald Wheeler in 1978. It challenges the traditional understanding of cause and effect by suggesting that the outcome of a measurement on a particle can be influenced by a future decision made by an observer.

2. How does the Delayed Choice Experiment work?

In the Delayed Choice Experiment, a particle is sent through a series of detectors that can measure its position or its momentum. The decision of which detector to use is made after the particle has already passed through the initial detector, but before it reaches the final detector. This means that the measurement of the particle's position or momentum is influenced by the observer's decision, even though the particle has already passed through the initial detector.

3. What does the Delayed Choice Experiment tell us about the nature of reality?

The Delayed Choice Experiment suggests that reality is not predetermined and that the observer has a role in determining the outcome of a measurement. It also challenges the idea of causality, as the future decision of the observer can influence the past behavior of the particle.

4. What are the implications of the Delayed Choice Experiment?

The implications of the Delayed Choice Experiment are still being debated and studied by scientists. Some interpretations suggest that the experiment supports the idea of a multiverse, where every possible outcome exists in a separate universe. Others suggest that it shows the limitations of our understanding of quantum mechanics and the need for further research and development in the field.

5. Has the Delayed Choice Experiment been conducted in a real-life scenario?

Yes, the Delayed Choice Experiment has been conducted in various real-life scenarios, including with photons, electrons, and atoms. These experiments have confirmed the findings of the thought experiment and have provided further insights into the nature of quantum mechanics and the role of the observer in determining reality.