Capacitance Vs Frequency and Voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between capacitance and voltage, as well as the decrease in capacitance with an increase in frequency. The person is looking for an explanation for this inverse relationship, rather than a mathematical equation. They have made capacitor measurements and observed this behavior, and are now seeking the theory behind it. The other person asks for more details about the experimental setup and measured data.
wisdomsearch
Would you kindly help me in describing the relationship between

1. capacitance and voltage and why?

and

2. Why does with increase in frequency the capacitance decreases ?

Physics news on Phys.org
-1- What is the equation relating the charge on a capacitor to the capacitance and voltage? It is a standard equation, and should be there in your textbook.

-2- What capacitance decreases with frequency? You need to be more detailed in this question, and you need to try to answer it for us. We do not give out answers here at the PF. After you show your work, we can try to offer tutorial help.

(Please re-read the "Rules" link at the top of the page.)

Iam aware of the equation.I was actually looking for an explanation not mathematical to understand the logic behind the decrease in the capacitance with the increase in frequency.I have made capacitor measurements and observed the behaviour in the similar manner . Now i need to understand the theory relating to the inverse relationship between the capacitance and the frequency measurements.

wisdomsearch said:
Iam aware of the equation.I was actually looking for an explanation not mathematical to understand the logic behind the decrease in the capacitance with the increase in frequency.I have made capacitor measurements and observed the behaviour in the similar manner . Now i need to understand the theory relating to the inverse relationship between the capacitance and the frequency measurements.

There is no relationship like that which I'm aware of. What was your experimental setup, and what were your measured data?

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to store electrical charge. It is represented by the symbol C and measured in units of farads (F).

2. How does capacitance change with frequency?

As frequency increases, the reactance of a capacitor decreases, leading to an increase in capacitance. This is because at higher frequencies, the capacitor's plates have less time to charge and discharge, resulting in a higher effective capacitance.

3. What is the relationship between capacitance and voltage?

The capacitance of a capacitor is directly proportional to the voltage applied to it. This means that as the voltage increases, so does the amount of charge that can be stored in the capacitor.

4. How does capacitance affect the performance of electronic circuits?

Capacitance plays a crucial role in the functioning of electronic circuits. It can be used to filter out unwanted frequencies, store energy, and control the timing of signals. High capacitance can also lead to unwanted effects such as signal distortion and voltage drops.

5. What factors can affect the capacitance vs frequency and voltage relationship?

The type and material of the capacitor, its physical dimensions, and the dielectric material used can all affect the capacitance vs frequency and voltage relationship. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and aging can also have an impact on the performance of a capacitor.