Capacitance when dielectric is introduced

In summary, a dielectric of dielectric constant 3 fills three fourth of the space between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor. The equation for energy stored in the capacitor, U=CV2/2, changes to U=epsilon0AV2/(d-t+t/epsilonr) when a dielectric is introduced. By substituting 3d/4 for t and 3 for relative permeability, the new equation simplifies to twice the original value. The book gives the answer as 50%, which can be found by isolating the capacitor, finding the initial energy in terms of epsilon, A, and d, and then finding the new energy with the dielectric inserted. This results
logearav

Homework Statement

a dielectric of dielectric constant 3 fills three fourth of the space between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor. What percentage of the energy is stored in the dielectric.

Homework Equations

U=CV2/2
= epsilon0AV2/d.2

The Attempt at a Solution

When dielectric is introduced the above equation changes to epsilon0AV2/(d-t+t/epsilonr)
I substituted 3d/4 for t since dielectric fills three fourth of space between the plates of capacitor and 3 for relative permeability.
When simplified i got the answer epsilon0AV2/d
which is twice the value of U that is 2U
In the book the answer is given as 50% which i don't understand. How this 50% comes? Thanks in advance, revered members

Physics news on Phys.org
how did you take V to be constant?
is it given that capacitor is connected to a battery?

no sir. its not given. please guide me to solve this problem

is that the exact question given to you?
because i think something else should also be given.
ans also, the language of question is new to me

yes sir i have the typed the exact question. no other details are given

there is only 1 way i got 50% energy increase due to introduction of dielectric.
first let capacitor is isolated (safe to assume)
let it has plate area A and separation d.
Energy, U = Q^2/2C

find energy when there is no dielectric, in terms of epsilon,A,d not in C (pretty easy :) )

then find net capacitance when dielectric is inserted.

now find energy,
*note: now Q will remain same as capacitor is separated.

you'll see that increase in energy is 1/2 of initial energy ... which is stored due to (or in other words, stored inside) capacitor.

sir, can i proceed in this way as given in my attachment? Of course i don't know how 50% comes as given in the book? thanks in advance,sir

Attachments

• capacitance.gif
    capacitance.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to store electrical charge. It is typically denoted by the letter C and is measured in farads (F).

How does capacitance change when a dielectric is introduced?

When a dielectric material is introduced between the plates of a capacitor, the capacitance increases. This is because the dielectric reduces the electric field between the plates, allowing more charge to be stored on the plates.

What is a dielectric material?

A dielectric material is an insulating material that is placed between the plates of a capacitor to increase its capacitance. Common dielectric materials include rubber, plastic, paper, and air.

How does the dielectric constant affect capacitance?

The dielectric constant, also known as the relative permittivity, is a measure of how much a dielectric material can increase the capacitance of a capacitor. The higher the dielectric constant, the greater the increase in capacitance will be.

What is the equation for calculating the capacitance of a capacitor with a dielectric?

The equation for calculating the capacitance of a capacitor with a dielectric is C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the dielectric constant, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.