Capacitance with Non-Uniform Dielectrics

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving for the capacitance and electric field of a parallel plate capacitor filled with a non-uniform dielectric material. The relevant equations involve electric susceptibility, polarization, electric displacement, and surface charge density. The solution involves integrating the electric field over the distance between the plates to find the voltage and using that to calculate the capacitance.
Durin

Homework Statement

1. A parallel plate capacitor, with plates of area A, and spacing d, is filled with a non-uniform
dielectric, with a permitivity that varies as

ε = ε0 + ax

where a is a constant, and x is the distance from one plate

Homework Equations

C = Q/V

I'm assuming I'm allowed to assume this is a linear dielectric so

P = XeE

D = P + E = (1+Xe)E = εE

Where P is the polarization vector and Xe is electric susceptibility and D is the electric displacement
-grad(P) = ρbound

P dot n = σbound
Where n is a unit vector normal to the surface

ε = ε0(1+χe)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to solve for Xe and sub it back into the equation for P

So

P = ax/ε0E

And I know that the E from the plates is σfree0

And that C = Q/V and that the sum of the bound charges should be zero because otherwise conservation of charge would be violated so V should be changing.

But I am really unsure what to do to figure out the total electric field.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to solve for the capacitance or the E-field? I'm assuming the capacitance since that was one of your relevant equations and typically for a parallel plate capacitor, that's what you're looking for.

A few equations to get you started:
[itex]E_n*\epsilon(x) = \rho_s[/itex] where [itex]E_n[/itex] is the normal component of the E-field and [itex]\rho_s[/itex] is the surface charge density on the plates. If you use [itex]\rho_s[/itex] and substitute in for the charge and area, then solve for the potential V using:
[itex]V = -\int_{0}^{d}E\cdot dl[/itex]
You should be able to get the capacitance from there.

I atually ended up figuring it out, but it was really crazily easy. Basically I was supposed to use the electric field from a parallel-plate capacitor and substitute in ε for ε0 then integrate to find the voltage.

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in farads (F) and is a property of the system's geometry and materials.

What is a dielectric?

A dielectric is an insulating material that can be placed between two conductors to increase the capacitance of the system. It is characterized by its dielectric constant, which is a measure of how well it can store electric charge.

How does capacitance change with non-uniform dielectrics?

Capacitance with non-uniform dielectrics is affected by the varying thickness and dielectric constant of the material between the conductors. As the dielectric constant changes, the electric field and capacitance also change.

What is the capacitance formula for non-uniform dielectrics?

The capacitance formula for non-uniform dielectrics is given by C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance, Q is the charge on the conductors, and V is the potential difference between the conductors. This formula takes into account the varying thickness and dielectric constant of the material between the conductors.

How is capacitance with non-uniform dielectrics used in practical applications?

Capacitance with non-uniform dielectrics is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in capacitors for electronic circuits, power transmission lines, and energy storage devices. It is also important in the design of high voltage insulators and in the analysis of biological systems, such as cell membranes.