1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitance with Non-Uniform Dielectrics

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. A parallel plate capacitor, with plates of area A, and spacing d, is filled with a non-uniform
    dielectric, with a permitivity that varies as

ε = ε0 + ax

where a is a constant, and x is the distance from one plate

2. Relevant equations

C = Q/V

I'm assuming I'm allowed to assume this is a linear dielectric so

P = XeE

D = P + E = (1+Xe)E = εE

Where P is the polarization vector and Xe is electric susceptibility and D is the electric displacement
    -grad(P) = ρbound

P dot n = σbound
    Where n is a unit vector normal to the surface

ε = ε0(1+χe)

3. The attempt at a solution

I am able to solve for Xe and sub it back into the equation for P

So

P = ax/ε0E

And I know that the E from the plates is σfree0

And that C = Q/V and that the sum of the bound charges should be zero because otherwise conservation of charge would be violated so V should be changing.

But I am really unsure what to do to figure out the total electric field.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2
    Are you trying to solve for the capacitance or the E-field? I'm assuming the capacitance since that was one of your relevant equations and typically for a parallel plate capacitor, that's what you're looking for.

A few equations to get you started:
    [itex]E_n*\epsilon(x) = \rho_s[/itex] where [itex]E_n[/itex] is the normal component of the E-field and [itex]\rho_s[/itex] is the surface charge density on the plates. If you use [itex]\rho_s[/itex] and substitute in for the charge and area, then solve for the potential V using:
    [itex]V = -\int_{0}^{d}E\cdot dl[/itex]
    You should be able to get the capacitance from there.

4. Oct 17, 2011 #3
    I atually ended up figuring it out, but it was really crazily easy. Basically I was supposed to use the electric field from a parallel-plate capacitor and substitute in ε for ε0 then integrate to find the voltage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook