Capacitor exercise -- Calculate the force needed to withdraw the dielectric

In summary: If not, then it's fine.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the capacitance, potential energy, and force of a parallel plate capacitor with a dielectric material. There is a question about the correctness of the equations and the use of initial voltage. The suggested equations for capacitance and force appear to be correct, but the questioner should check if the answer requires the use of initial voltage.
Jack99123
Homework Statement
Between two conducting plates (length ## l ##, width ## w ## and distance ## d ##) there is an insulator (permittivity \epsilon). The capacitor is charged with voltage ## V ## (charge ## Q ##). After this the voltage source is removed. The insulator is moved to the left in the direction of ## l ## a distance ## l-x ##. Calculate the force that the electric field tries to drag the insulator back
to between the conducting plates. (Hint. F=-∇U, expression for potential energy with
capacitance, the capacitor charge is constant, voltage changes)
Relevant Equations
##C_e=C_1+C_2##
##U=\frac{1}{2}*C*V^2##
##C=\epsilon \frac{A}{d} ##
##\vec F =-\nabla U##
First, I think that I need to calculate the capacitance. It is ## C=\epsilon_0*\frac{l*w}{d}-x*\frac{w*\epsilon_0}{d}+\epsilon*\frac{x*w}{d} ##. After that I should calculate the potential energy. It is ##U=\frac{1}{2}*C*V^2 ##. After that I should take its gradient to get the force. So ##\vec F =-\nabla U=-\frac{d}{dx}U*\vec i=-\frac{(\frac{-w*\epsilon_0}{d}+\frac{\epsilon*w}{d})*v^2}{2}*\vec i ##
. Is this correct and if it's not, could you please help me?
fysiikkakuva1.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jack99123 said:
First, I think that I need to calculate the capacitance. It is ## C=\epsilon_0*\frac{l*w}{d}-x*\frac{w*\epsilon_0}{d}+\epsilon*\frac{x*w}{d} ##. After that I should calculate the potential energy. It is ##U=\frac{1}{2}*C*V^2 ##. After that I should take its gradient to get the force. So ##\vec F =-\nabla U=-\frac{d}{dx}U*\vec i=-\frac{(\frac{-w*\epsilon_0}{d}+\frac{\epsilon*w}{d})*v^2}{2}*\vec i ##
. Is this correct and if it's not, could you please help me?View attachment 280047
Your overall strategy looks OK but note:

1) You can’t have voltage (V) in your function for U(x) . (Why not?) You need to express U(x) using only x and fixed values. What quantity remains fixed when the insulator (dielectric) is moved?

2) Your equation:
##C=\epsilon_0*\frac{l*w}{d}-x*\frac{w*\epsilon_0}{d}+\epsilon*\frac{x*w}{d}##
looks correct, but for clarity, note that you have two parallel capacitors, one with area ##xw## and the other with area ##(l-x)w##. A clearer expression for C (equivalent to yours) would be:
##C=\frac{\epsilon_0(l-x)w}{d}+\frac{\epsilon xw}{d}##

So then ##Q## remains constant. I need to use equation ##U=\frac{Q^2}{2*C}##. Then I need to use ##\vec F=-\nabla U## which is ##\vec i *\frac{Q^2*d*(\epsilon-\epsilon_0)}{2*(\epsilon_0*(l-x)+\epsilon *x)^2*w}## Is this right?

Last edited:
Jack99123 said:
So then ##Q## remains constant. I need to use equation ##U=\frac{Q^2}{2*C}##. Then I need to use ##\vec F=-\nabla U## which is ##\vec i *\frac{Q^2*d*(\epsilon-\epsilon_0)}{2*(\epsilon_0*(l-x)+\epsilon *x)^2*w}## Is this right?
Looks probably OK - but I'm not checking the algebra for you!

Check if the question requires an answer in terms of the initial voltage (V). If so, you will need replace Q with a suitable expression.

Last edited:

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electrical component that stores energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the force needed to withdraw the dielectric?

The force needed to withdraw the dielectric is important for determining the stability and performance of a capacitor. It helps in designing and optimizing capacitor systems for various applications.

3. How is the force needed to withdraw the dielectric calculated?

The force needed to withdraw the dielectric can be calculated using the formula F = (1/2) * ε * A * E^2, where F is the force, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the plates, and E is the electric field strength.

4. What factors affect the force needed to withdraw the dielectric?

The force needed to withdraw the dielectric is affected by the permittivity of the dielectric material, the area of the plates, and the electric field strength. It may also be influenced by the distance between the plates and the type of material used for the plates and the dielectric.

5. How can the force needed to withdraw the dielectric be reduced?

The force needed to withdraw the dielectric can be reduced by using a dielectric material with a lower permittivity, increasing the area of the plates, or decreasing the electric field strength. Additionally, using thinner plates and a thinner dielectric material can also decrease the force required.