1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitors, Capacitance and Dielectrics

1. Sep 7, 2012 #1
    Hi,

So I am learning about parallel-plate capacitors.

The way my book puts it is that it is basically two parallel plates of opposite polarities, separated by a distance d. In order to establish that distance, work must be done and the energy is stored as electric potential energy.

From that description, I understand that the purpose of a capacitor is to store potential energy.

I then learn that a dielectric can increase the capacitance of a capacitor by decreasing the potential difference but, in the process, it diminishes the stored potential energy, according to the equation:

Energy = Q2/C

Why, then, is a dielectric used if it decreases the potential energy (what I thought as the function of the capacitor)? The purpose of a capacitor is to store more charge? There must be a connection I am not seeing. :redface:

Can anyone elucidate me?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook