Capacitors: Series Capacitance Concepts

It's true that the charge on each plate is proportional to the field, but not the total charge. In this problem, if the charge is the same on both capacitors, then the field is the same between Z and Y as it is between W and X. So why is the answer correct?
yuvlevental

Homework Statement

The sketch below is a side view of two capacitors consisting of parallel plates in air. The capacitor plates are equal in area but the plate separation differs as shown. Individual capacitors are specified with two letters, for example WX is a single capacitor. The charge on plate W is represented by QW.

(Img is http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/6074/plotkv8.png" )

Homework Equations

E = (.5)*C*V^2
Q = C*V
C = EA/d

The Attempt at a Solution

A potential is applied between points A and B. For each of the statements below choose the proper response.

Increase If capacitor WX is eliminated from the circuit, the the energy stored in capacitor ZY will...
It will increase because the voltage drop on ZY will increase

Increase If capacitor ZY is eliminated from the circuit, the magnitude of QX will...
Increase, voltage drop will increase

Stay the Same If the plate separation for capacitor WX increases, the energy stored in capacitor ZY will ...
The capacitance of ZY doesn't change

Less Than The potential difference across capacitor WX is ______ the potential difference across capacitor ZY.
Wx has a larger distance

Equal to QX + QZ is _____ zero.
All charges in a series capacitor are the same.

Less than The energy stored in capacitor WX is ______ the energy stored in capacitor ZY.
Because there is less voltage

Equal to The electric field between plates Z and Y is ______ the electric field between plates W and X.
Electric field is proportional to charge

I know I'm wrong. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let me try again...

Homework Statement

The sketch below is a side view of two capacitors consisting of parallel plates in air. The capacitor plates are equal in area but the plate separation differs as shown. Individual capacitors are specified with two letters, for example WX is a single capacitor. The charge on plate W is represented by QW.

Homework Equations

E = (.5)*C*V^2
Q = C*V
C = EA/d

A potential is applied between points A and B. For each of the statements below choose the proper response.

If capacitor WX is eliminated from the circuit, the the energy stored in capacitor ZY will increase.

If capacitor ZY is eliminated from the circuit, the magnitude of QX will increase.

If the plate separation for capacitor WX increases, the energy stored in capacitor ZY will stay the same.

The potential difference across capacitor WX is less than the potential difference across capacitor ZY.
Wx has a larger distance

QX + QZ is equal to zero.

The energy stored in capacitor WX is less than the energy stored in capacitor ZY.

The Electric Field between plates Z and Y is equal to the electric field between plates W and X.

I know I'm wrong.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

--yuvlevental

i need help

really, i do

im not joking

ill keep posting until someone answers

pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee answer

Hi yuvlevental,

Here are a few problems I see:

yuvlevental said:
Let me try again...

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

E = (.5)*C*V^2
Q = C*V
C = EA/d

If capacitor WX is eliminated from the circuit, the the energy stored in capacitor ZY will increase.

If capacitor ZY is eliminated from the circuit, the magnitude of QX will increase.

If the plate separation for capacitor WX increases, the energy stored in capacitor ZY will stay the same.

The capacitance of ZY doesn't change, but the voltage across ZY depends on the capacitance of WX.

The potential difference across capacitor WX is less than the potential difference across capacitor ZY.
Wx has a larger distance

What is the relationship between plate separation and potential difference?

QX + QZ is equal to zero.

The energy stored in capacitor WX is less than the energy stored in capacitor ZY.

Why do you say there is less voltage? What is the relationship between voltage and capacitance?

The Electric Field between plates Z and Y is equal to the electric field between plates W and X.

Your reasoning gives you the right answer herem but the reasoning itself is not quite right. The electric field between the capacitors is proportional to the charge density (charge/area). For example, if in this problem one capacitor had twice the area of the other, but still the same charge, its field would be half.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores energy in an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material.

2. What is series capacitance?

Series capacitance refers to the connection of multiple capacitors in a circuit, where each capacitor is connected end-to-end, resulting in a single path for current flow.

3. How does series capacitance affect capacitance value?

In a series capacitance circuit, the total capacitance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitor's capacitance value. This means that the total capacitance value decreases as more capacitors are added in series.

4. What is the voltage distribution in a series capacitance circuit?

In a series capacitance circuit, the voltage across each capacitor is equal to the total applied voltage. This is due to the fact that in a series circuit, the same amount of current flows through each component, and in a capacitor, the voltage is directly proportional to the charge.

5. How do I calculate the total capacitance in a series capacitance circuit?

To calculate the total capacitance in a series circuit, you can use the formula C = 1/(1/C1 + 1/C2 + ... + 1/Cn), where C is the total capacitance and C1, C2, etc. are the individual capacitance values. Alternatively, you can use a calculator or an online calculator to simplify the calculation.