Car and Train with Average Velocity

In summary, a train and a car leave the same station at different times and travel at different speeds on parallel tracks. The car catches up to the train after traveling 60 km. The car's average velocity in meters/second cannot be determined from this information.
wolves5
A train leaves the train station at 9:00 am and travels at a constant speed of vt = 65 km/hr on a straight track. At 10:30 am, a car leaves the same train station and travels in the same direction at vc = 115 km/hr on a road next to the train track.

a.How far from the station is the place where the car catches up with the train?
b. What was the car's average velocity in meters/second?

For this question, I did part a. I got my answer to be 60 km. I have no idea how to find the average velocity using this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure about part a ?
Just calculate how far is the train from the station at 10:30, when the car starts.
That distance cannot be longer than the distance at where the meet.

First part is simply wrong! When the car is about to start the train has already traveled 97.5 km!

Sorry about that! The first part answer is 224.25 km. How do I do the second part?

The question is velocity of the car in meters/second.

ehild

1. What is average velocity?

Average velocity is a measure of the average speed and direction of an object over a given time period. It is calculated by dividing the displacement of the object by the time it took to travel that distance.

2. How is average velocity different from average speed?

Average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken, while average velocity takes into account the direction of movement. While an object can have an average speed of 50 mph, for example, its average velocity could be 0 mph if it traveled in a circular motion and ended up back at its starting point.

3. How do you calculate average velocity for a car or train?

To calculate average velocity, you need to measure the total distance traveled by the car or train and the total time it took to travel that distance. Then, divide the distance by the time to get the average velocity in meters per second (m/s) or miles per hour (mph).

4. Can the average velocity of a car or train change?

Yes, the average velocity of a car or train can change if its speed or direction changes. For example, if a train starts off at 20 mph and then speeds up to 40 mph, its average velocity will increase because it traveled a greater distance in the same amount of time.

5. Why is average velocity important for cars and trains?

Average velocity is important for cars and trains because it can help determine how long a trip will take and how much fuel will be needed. It is also useful for comparing the efficiency of different routes or modes of transportation.