Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automotive Car battery life - playing radio

1. Oct 15, 2012 #1
    How long have you ran your car battery running on "lowest key position", just playing the radio.

How long do you think a 05 model should have it's battery last for this. Range?

:]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Re: Car battery life

There is no way to tell without knowing exactly how much power your electronic devices use, and the capacity of your battery. Plus things like age of the battery, if there was a full charge before you used it, etc.

4. Oct 15, 2012 #3

seriously not even a rough estimate? it is year 2010 (correcting above) saab 93 sedan. not running ac, heating, headlights. no ball park figure?

5. Oct 15, 2012 #4

ok screw it i dont know the year lol

6. Oct 15, 2012 #5

2008 - 2010 for sure though. oh well.

7. Oct 15, 2012 #6

Evo

It would depend on the battery.

8. Oct 15, 2012 #7

turbo

Gold Member

It would be a good idea to check the cell-to-cell charge from one pole. One weak cell (sulfated, perhaps) will kill that battery because it won't be able to take a full charge nor deliver the amperage that your application demands.

I always used sacrificial probes (an iron nail clamped in an alligator clip, for instance) to probe the acid in the cells. Car batteries are mass-produced and are not rigorously tested.

9. Oct 15, 2012 #8

Drakkith

I mean if you can't play the radio for more than about 15 minutes, I'd bet that your battery was either not charged, or it is dying. But I don't think we could give you a reasonable estimate of what a fully charged, properly working battery should give you if we don't know the battery and we don't know the power consumption of your stereo system.

10. Oct 16, 2012 #9

Ok fair enough. Thanks all.

Ps Turbo. That's nothing compared to once he casts his hallucinogenic spell to make you close your eyes and drift away. :s

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook