Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could a Tesla turbine recharge electric car battery?

1. Jun 26, 2013 #1
    Assuming you have an electric car that can go 100miles at 70mph on a single charge, what kind of range could you get with the following configuration? An electric car that runs off the main battery bank. Vents on the outside of the car funnel air to a Tesla turbine while the car is in motion. The Tesla turbine recharges the cars main battery bank. I'm not asking if the car will run forever, I'm wondering what kind of range extension, if any, would the car get from the Tesla turbine?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2013 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

Assuming the turbine was 100% efficient, the range would still be 100 miles. A real turbine with a lower efficiency would result in a lower range. Conservation of energy applies: the turbine adds drag and produces less energy than it absorbs from the battery.

4. Jun 26, 2013 #3
    I don't understand. The turbine doesn't absorb energy from the batteries. The outside wind goes through the vents to turn the Tesla turbine which turns an altenator which recharges the batteries. This is not an idea for a tesla turbine powered car. Its an idea to capture some of the energy from the outside wind and convert it to electricity to recharge the main batteries. I know the vent will produce some kind of drag so are you saying the extra energy required to overcome that drag is greater than the energy the wind speed could produce from the Tesla turbine?

5. Jun 26, 2013 #4
    On a similar note. Turbo intakes produce drag on a car but the turbo is still able to produce higher fuel efficiency. Don't they produce more energy than the drag removes?? Oh and thank for the welcome. Very nice forum board.

6. Jun 26, 2013 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The batteries drive the motor, which drives the car, which creates the wind, which drives the turbine, which drives the generator, which charges the batteries. It's one big circle.
    Yes. That's the basic scientific principle of conservation of energy.
    A turbocharger is powered by the exhaust gases of the car.
    You're welcome.

7. Jun 26, 2013 #6
    Sigh...thats what I was afraid of. Any chance of significantly increasing range with solar? Just curious, not interested in persuing that scenario. Tesla is more interesting. What about a tesla coil attached to the drive train, That would be capturing free electron from the environment wouldn't it? Ugh. I'd love to go electric but the range limitation just makes it implausible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook