Car crash head-on vs car hitting wall: which has greater impact force?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Supaiku
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Momentum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Supaiku
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
2 Situations.
One: Two identical cars crash head on (inelasticly) @ v miles per hour each (in opposide directions of course).
Two: A car identical to those two cards crashes (inelasticly) @ v miles per hour into a brick wall (ie. solid and unmovable... although I have seen pics of a car that just went through a brick wall...).
which of the two situations results in the greatest impact force.

Which answer?
The forces are the same in both.
Hitting the other car (One>Two).

P=momentum
J=impulse

I figure F (impluse; whatever) =delta(P) right? So in the first situation delta P is greater since they have opposing velocites (-P and P).
But if you do P+J=0 then J=P in both cases right?

I'm pretty confused; what's right and why? HElps mes!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
in the first situation the impuls transfert is bigger due to the two moving objects...
in the second situation only the car has impulse p...

maybe this will help...

regards
marlon
 
Ya, I got it now. I sort of misunderstook what was being asked... they are both right depending weather you interpert the question correctly or not :p