1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car race riddle (not too hard, not too easy)

1. Apr 30, 2007 #1
    My mum told me this one, it's pretty cool :).

The red car and the blue car are having a race. The red car, which has a top speed of 70mph has a 20 minute head start over the blue car, which has a top speed of 80mph.

Assuming that top speeds are reached the very instant a car starts, and that the top speeds are constant, how long will it take, in minutes, for the blue car to catch up with the red car?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This isn't really a brain teaser.. its a simple physics problem...:rolleyes:
  4. Apr 30, 2007 #3
    Okay I'll add another element. When the blue car finally catches up with the red car, the driver of the blue car looks through the window and notices that the driver of the red car has a dagger through his chest. On the passenger side seat sits a dog wearing a Sherlock Holmes hat, who woofs twice. There is also a small puddle of cool water in the front footwell. How did the driver of the red car die?

Anyway sorry I didn't realise that this wasn't the place for this kind of problem :D.
  5. Apr 30, 2007 #4
    Lol... :rofl:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?