Cardinality of infinity (3)

In summary, the question asks for the cardinality of the set of constructible angles whose cosine is irrational and rational. This is equivalent to finding the cardinality of the sets of constructible rational and irrational numbers between -1 and 1 inclusive. However, there is not a one-to-one correspondence between constructible angles and their cosines, causing some difficulties in determining the cardinality. It is known that all rational numbers are constructible, so the answer to part b is the cardinality of the constructible numbers. For part a, the answer is the cardinality of the constructible numbers restricted to the range of 0 to 180 degrees, as there is a one-to-one correspondence between constructible angles and their cosines
kingwinner

Homework Statement

1) Find the cardnality of the set of constructible angles whose cosine is
a) irrational
b) rational

2. The attempt at a solution
For the other questions I have posted my attempt, but for this one I really have no clue...
Could someone please give me some general hints?

Your help is greatly appreciated!:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't this problem simply equivalent to the problem of determining the cardinality of the sets of constructible rational and irrational numbers, respectively? (Since an angle is constructible iff its cosine is.)

morphism said:
Isn't this problem simply equivalent to the problem of determining the cardinality of the sets of constructible rational and irrational numbers, respectively? (Since an angle is constructible iff its cosine is.)
Hi,

I don't think they are equivalent.
cos(x) has to be between -1 and 1 inclusive, so it can't be e.g. 2, 3 , -4, etc. while the set of constructible numbers have these as elements.

Last edited:
That is not relevant. What he said was that an angle is constructible if and only if its cosine is. Yes, 2, 3, etc. are constructible and so are cos(2), cos(3), etc. And a number is constructible if and only if it is algebraic of order a power of 2 which includes all rational numbers. Now- there are at most a countable number of possible polynomials, with integer coefficients, of degree n, each of which has at most n zeros so the set of all numbers algebraic of order n is countable. What does that tell you about the cardinality of the set of all algebraic numbers?

HallsofIvy said:
That is not relevant. What he said was that an angle is constructible if and only if its cosine is. Yes, 2, 3, etc. are constructible and so are cos(2), cos(3), etc. And a number is constructible if and only if it is algebraic of order a power of 2 which includes all rational numbers. Now- there are at most a countable number of possible polynomials, with integer coefficients, of degree n, each of which has at most n zeros so the set of all numbers algebraic of order n is countable. What does that tell you about the cardinality of the set of all algebraic numbers?

"And a number is constructible if and only if it is algebraic of order a power of 2 which includes all rational numbers."
I haven't learned this in my class, so I can't take this for granted...there is so little tool I can use :(

Last edited:
morphism said:
So I think the problem is equivalent to the problem of finding the cardnality of the sets of consturctible rational and irrational numbers between -1 and 1 inclusive. To justify this, we need to first prove the equivalence.
e.g. Is there a 1-1 and onto map from {consturctible irrational numbers between -1 and 1} and {consturctible angles whose cosine is irrational}? I can't think of one...for example cos360o=cos720o, how can it be one-to-one, then?

I know that {all consturctible numbers} is countably infinite, but how about {consturctible irrational numbers between -1 and 1} and {consturctible rational numbers between -1 and 1 inclusive}? How to find their cardinalities?

Thanks!

An angle is constructible iff its cosine is, but the trouble is that the correspondence is not one-to-one. There are infinitely many angles whose cosine is the same value.

That doesn't matter. x is a constructible angle iff cos(x) is constructible. So if x is a constructible angle whose cosine is rational, that means cos(x) is a constructible rational number, etc. etc.

But if cos(theta) and theta does not have one-to-one correspondence, then we CANNOT say that:
|{constructible angles whose cosine is irrational}| = |{constructble irrational numbers between -1 and 1}|
which seems to create a lot of trouble...

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this problem? Please help!

It seems to me that a large part of this problem is know what numbers are constructible. Since you say that you do not know that "a number is constructible if and only if it is algebraic of order a power of 2" what do you know about constructible numbers? Since you are asking about the "cardinality of the set of constructible angles whose cosine is rational", are you aware that all rational numbers are constructible?

HallsofIvy said:
It seems to me that a large part of this problem is know what numbers are constructible. Since you say that you do not know that "a number is constructible if and only if it is algebraic of order a power of 2" what do you know about constructible numbers? Since you are asking about the "cardinality of the set of constructible angles whose cosine is rational", are you aware that all rational numbers are constructible?

Yes, I am aware that all rationals are constructible.

Good! So you know the answer to part b! Now since you know that cos(x) is irrational if and only if x is, and, between 0 and [itex]2\pi[/itex] there at most two angles that have the same cardinality, you know that the answer to part a is just the cardinality of the constructible numbers.

HallsofIvy said:
Good! So you know the answer to part b! Now since you know that cos(x) is irrational if and only if x is, and, between 0 and [itex]2\pi[/itex] there at most two angles that have the same cardinality, you know that the answer to part a is just the cardinality of the constructible numbers.

"cos(x) is irrational if and only if x is"
Um...I am not too sure about this, why is this true?

"between 0 and [itex]2\pi[/itex] there at most two angles that have the same cardinality"
Why only between 0 and 2pi? Constructible angles can be e.g.720 degrees, 1440 degrees, etc.

Still struggling to understand...

If I restrict theta to be between 0 and 180 degrees, then cos(theta) and theta would have one-to-one corrspondence. Thus |{constructible angles between 0 and 180 degrees whose cosine is irrational}| = |{constructble irrational numbers between -1 and 1}|

{constructble numbers} is countably infinite, so {constructble irrational numbers between -1 and 1} as a subset of it must be countable. But how can we justify that {constructble irrational numbers between -1 and 1} is an infinite set?

Now, assuming {constructble irrational numbers between -1 and 1} is countably infinte, then {constructible angles between 0 and 180 degrees whose cosine is irrational} is countably infinite since they have the same cardinality

{constructible angles whose cosine is irrational} is the union of {constructible angles between 180k and 180k+180 degrees whose cosine is irrational} where k is from 0 to infinity
This is a countable union, and a countable union of countable sets is countable, so {constructible angles whose cosine is irrational} is countable.

Is this a valid proof?

Yes, once you have cleared up the question of whether the set of all constructible numbers between -1 and 1 is infinite.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, once you have cleared up the question of whether the set of all constructible numbers between -1 and 1 is infinite.

How can I prove this? Any hints?

The irrationals are dense in the reals, so they must be infinitely many irrationals between -1 and 1. But here they must be constructbile, too! How can I prove that this set is also infinte?

1. What does "cardinality of infinity" mean?

The cardinality of infinity refers to the measure of the size or amount of elements within an infinite set. It is a way to compare the sizes of different infinite sets.

2. How is the cardinality of infinity determined?

The cardinality of infinity is determined by counting the number of elements in a set or by finding a mathematical function that maps each element in one set to a unique element in another set. If the sets have the same number of elements, then they have the same cardinality.

3. What is the difference between countable and uncountable infinity?

Countable infinity refers to a set that can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...), while uncountable infinity refers to a set that cannot be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers.

4. Can there be different sizes of infinity?

Yes, there are different sizes of infinity. For example, the set of all real numbers is larger than the set of all natural numbers, even though both are considered infinite sets.

5. How does the concept of cardinality of infinity relate to Cantor's diagonal argument?

Cantor's diagonal argument is a proof that there are infinite sets that cannot be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. This concept is closely related to the cardinality of infinity because it shows that there are different sizes of infinity and that they cannot all be counted in the same way.