1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cardiod parametric equation problem

1. Sep 28, 2013 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.
    Let ##C_a## a cardioid given in polar coordinates by ##r_a= a+cos(\theta)## with a being a parameter, and ##\theta## ##\in [0,2\Pi]##

a)Prove that, for a>1, ##C_a## is a smooth curve.
    b)Calculate the tangent line to the curve ##C_a## in the cartesian coordinates point ##(x,y)=(0,a)##

My problem is I don't understand how this curve is, I mean, I googled and saw how it looks like, but I don't know the parameterization.

By the way, I accidently pressed enter, so I opened an empty thread and I couldn't check the spell in the title, it says "cardiod"", when it should be "cardioid"", does anyone know how can I correct the title?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wouldn't worry to much about the misspelling in the title but you can ask a moderator to do it for you if it bothers you. Not sure what is bothering you about the parameterization. It is just a polar equation in the usual form ##r = f(\theta)##. Surely you have studied polar coordinates and their graphs??

4. Sep 28, 2013 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

For part (a), does the tangent vector vanish at all or is it continuous?

5. Sep 29, 2013 #4
    I got confused, the parameterization in polar coordinates is ##ψ(t)=(f(\theta)cos(\theta),f(\theta)sin(\theta))##

6. Sep 30, 2013 #5
    Sorry, I don't understant the question. The tangent vector doesn't vanish if the curve is smooth, I'm not sure if that what you've asked.

7. Sep 30, 2013 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Exactly, if the tangent vector doesn't vanish anywhere, then it is continuous. That is the exact condition you need for the curve to be smooth.

8. Sep 30, 2013 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use either ##\theta## or ##t## for the parameter, not both. But yes, for a curve given as ##r = f(\theta)##, that is the x-y parameterization$$
    \Psi(\theta) = \langle f(\theta)\cos(\theta), f(\theta)\sin(\theta)\rangle$$You can get the slope by$$
    \frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{\frac{dy}{d\theta}}{\frac{dx}{d\theta}}$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted