Parametric Equations: Tangents and Cartesian Equation for a Simple Curve

In summary: So the domain for x is [0, ∞) as x can take on any value from 0 to infinity, but t is restricted to (0, pi/2].
phospho
A curve has parametric equations

x = 2 cot t, y = 2sin² t , 0 < t ≤ pi/2

(a) find an expression for dy/dx in terms of the parameter t
(b) Find an equation of the tangent to the curve at the point where t = pi/4
(c) Find a cartesian equation of the curve in the form y = f(x). State the domain on which the curve is defined.

I've done part a),
I've done part b),
I've partway done part c), I have found the equation (y = 8/(4+x^2)), however I don't know how to find the domain on which the curve is defined, any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
phospho said:

(c) Find a cartesian equation of the curve in the form y = f(x). State the domain on which the curve is defined.

I've done part a),
I've done part b),
I've partway done part c), I have found the equation (y = 8/(4+x^2)), however I don't know how to find the domain on which the curve is defined, any help?

If x = 2 cot t, 0 < t ≤ pi/2, what values of x can you get?

phospho said:

I've done part a),
I've done part b),

x as a function of t is defined for all t in (0, ##\pi/2##]. What interval constitutes the codomain for x = f(t) = 2 cot(t)?. That will be your domain for your nonparametric equation.

Mark44 said:
x as a function of t is defined for all t in (0, ##\pi/2##]. What interval constitutes the codomain for x = f(t) = 2 cot(t)?. That will be your domain for your nonparametric equation.

Well drawing the cot graph as t approaches pi/2, x approaches 0 ∴ domain will approach infinity? Similar when t is really small the domain will approach 0? so 0<x<∞ or x>0?

phospho said:
Well drawing the cot graph as t approaches pi/2, x approaches 0 ∴ domain will approach infinity?
The domain doesn't "approach" anything - it's just an interval that you specify by an inequality or interval notation. (I'm taking shortcuts here - a domain might be the union of several disjoint intervals.)
phospho said:
Similar when t is really small the domain will approach 0? so 0<x<∞ or x>0?
Well, almost. It's actually 0 ≤ x < ∞, or x ≥ 0. Both of those represent the same interval, which you can also write as [0, ∞).

I don't know if you noticed, but the domain of f(x) = 8/(4 + x2) is all real numbers. The restricted domain you found comes from x(t) = cot(t).

Mark44 said:
The domain doesn't "approach" anything - it's just an interval that you specify by an inequality or interval notation. (I'm taking shortcuts here - a domain might be the union of several disjoint intervals.)
Well, almost. It's actually 0 ≤ x < ∞, or x ≥ 0. Both of those represent the same interval, which you can also write as [0, ∞).

I don't know if you noticed, but the domain of f(x) = 8/(4 + x2) is all real numbers. The restricted domain you found comes from x(t) = cot(t).

okay, thank you

just one question - why does it include 0?

The "the domain on which the y= f(x) is defined" is a set of x values, not t.
t cannot be 0 but x can. [itex]x(\pi/2)= cot(\pi/2)= 0[/itex]

1. What are parametric equations and how are they used in mathematics?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that describe a curve or surface in terms of one or more variables, known as parameters. They are commonly used in mathematics to represent complex shapes or movements that cannot be easily described using traditional Cartesian equations.

2. How do you determine the tangent of a point on a parametric curve?

To determine the tangent of a point on a parametric curve, you can use the formula dy/dx = (dy/dt) / (dx/dt), where dy/dt and dx/dt are the derivatives of the parametric equations with respect to the parameter t. The tangent will be the line passing through the point with a slope equal to dy/dx.

3. Can parametric equations be converted to Cartesian equations?

Yes, parametric equations can be converted to Cartesian equations. To do this, you can solve one of the equations for the parameter t and substitute it into the other equation. This will give you a Cartesian equation in terms of x and y.

4. What is a simple curve in parametric equations?

A simple curve in parametric equations is a curve that can be traced without lifting the pen from the paper, and without any self-intersections. These curves can be described using a single set of parametric equations, whereas more complex curves may require multiple sets of equations.

5. How do you graph a parametric curve?

To graph a parametric curve, you can plot a series of points by substituting different values of the parameter t into the equations. These points can then be connected to create a smooth curve. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to plot the curve for you.