1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with parametric equations

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find parametric equations for the semicircle x^2+y^2=a^2, y>0
    using as parameter the slope t=dy/dx of the tangent to the curve at (x,y)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    well i know that to parametrize a circle i would use x=acost and y=asint for 0<=t<=2pi
    so i guess if i just want the top half i would use 0<=t<=pi ? but im not sure how to use the derivative of y=sqrt(a^2-x^2) to parametrize the curve
    i went ahead and found dy/dx to be 1/2(a^2-x^2)^(-1/2)*-2x or -x/sqrt(a^2-x^2)
    i dont know what to do next...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2011 #2

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

Your expression for the slope is correct, but it will probably help you to reduce it a bit more (hint what is a2-x2?).

If we call the slope for s (our parameter), can you then express x as a function of s and y? If so, perhaps you can use this relation to get rid of x in another equation so it ends up only relating y and s, thus allowing you to find y as a function of s. Repeat with y as a function of s and x to get a parameterization for x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook