1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career and school advice for a recently graduated mechanical engineer

1. Jul 4, 2011 #1
    This straddles the line between academic and career guidance, so I picked what I think it's more of.

First, some background: I just received my BS in mechanical engineering from the University of Maryland. I have good grades and (I think, at least) good summer job/research experience. Yet I've had difficulty finding a job that I would enjoy. (It doesn't appear to be impossible, just difficult.)

My original plan was to attend grad school at UMD, but I canceled that plans for a few reasons. Unfortunately, as my plan was to attend UMD and I did not need to take the GRE, I did not, and by the time I decided not to continue at UMD it was way too late to look into applying to other programs for fall 2011. So now I'm looking for a job until I decide to enter a PhD program (or if I decide to enter a PhD program; there's a distinct possibility I won't care once I settle down) .

And now for my questions:

1) What are the most mathematical jobs I can get with a BS in ME? I've found most jobs I've applied for to be hopelessly boring, mostly because they don't use enough math. I always thought math was generally the most powerful tool in my toolbox, and I'm saddened that most engineers today seem to hate the stuff. (I love applied math. I took a grad level numerical PDE class and found it to be both incredibly challenging and interesting.)

2) Should I consider starting a PhD program in spring 2012? Are there any significant disadvantages to starting in spring? Most of the programs I've looked at don't admit students in the spring, but a few do. I think I need to see if any program I would want to attend does not have spring admission before deciding, and I'd appreciate any advice.

Any other advice would be helpful. And I'm sure I'll have some follow-up questions.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2011 #2
    If a phD is your goal, that is a good one. But a masters degree in mechanical engineering and substantial work experience will qualify you for positions that involve calculations and analysis.

4. Jul 5, 2011 #3
    Thanks. I have noticed that a MS and work experience could lead to positions I like better. But I'm not asking about what I can do down the road. What sort of jobs should I be look for now to fill in the gap between graduation and grad school?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook