1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Career Change: Forestry -> Engineering

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1
    Career Change: Forestry --> Engineering

I am contemplating returning to school to complete a BS in Engineering (possibly Environmental). I went to school 10 years ago planning to start an engineering program and was distracted by fighting wildland fires and ended up with a Forest Resources BS.

10 years of working for the Forest Service and I'm bored to tears. I find myself doing things like taking Calc II classes in the winter to entertain my self.

I am 28 now, debt free and I'm seriously considering applying to my local University to begin the course work I would need to complete to apply to a professional program. Environmental Engineering seems like it is in line with my first degree in terms of working outside and designing things that help/modify the environment. It also seems to have a decent job market, 31% increase in the next 5/6 years according to BLS.

The cost/benefit in terms of future salary versus current salary+tuition seems a no brainer.

Has anyone done this or something similar?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2011 #2
    Re: Career Change: Forestry --> Engineering

I haven't personally, but there are tons of people who take their experience with certain industries and get the education/certification required to elevate them to higher levels in that field. It is certainly doable, and if you don't mind going back to school and can afford the tuition/are willing to work on the side, then it is a great idea. Engineering is a great field and if you look around you can generally find something that you are genuinely intrested in.

4. Nov 11, 2011 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are often discussions on this forum about the pros and cons of getting a second bachelor's degree. Many argue it's a better use of your time to get a master's.

In your case, your bachelor's may be sufficient to get into a master's program, provided you take classes to make up any deficiencies. Have you considered that path?

5. Nov 11, 2011 #4

Because of the coursework required for my forestry degree, I will have to go back and retake courses at a higher level of rigor. IE - Chem 142 vs Chem 221

Unfortunately, I am fairly certain this will prevent me from applying to a masters program in engineering. I am looking at 3-3.5 years of school before I am back in the job market.

I could finish a civil or construction engineering management degree in less time, but feel the that job prospects in civil do not warrant the debt I will likely take on.

Is it typical or advantageous to work for an engineering firm in the summer? I could continue fighting wildland fire in the summer and probably cover my costs as a student by working for 3 months.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook