1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Career Change to Mechanical Engineering at age 30

1. Jan 2, 2015 #1
    I currently work in the pharmaceutical industry and I work in a lab testing purity of controlled substances. I have wanted to do engineering for several years now, more specifically electrical or mechanical. I have started to develop medical conditions due to exposure to chemicals in the lab. So now is the best time for me to start making the change. I am 29 about to be 30 in three months.

I am well aware of the rigor involved in the engineering programs and that does not bother me at all, but what does concern me is... will age be an issue? I can only assume I will be ~35 +/- 1 years old when I finish the program.

I am going in this with realistic expectations and I know I will be competing against new graduates and others who are more seasoned.

Another thing I was curious about is how stable is the job market for engineers long term? I know all careers have no guarantee of stability at any given time, but over the long haul how would engineering employment hold up? When I am in my 50's, (granted I am keeping up with technology and information), will jobs still be available and offered for someone like me? Granted at that time I would have ~15 years of experience under my belt.

I know a few engineers who are about my age now and have good paying and stable jobs. I hear computer science deals with ageism a great deal and I was wondering if this happens in engineering as well?

I do appreciate any tips, advice, or questions you may have for me. I do appreciate your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2015 #2
    Age doesn't matter. You could be 50 and still pursue a career in the engineering field... I would say 80% of the people in my engineering classes are between the ages of 27-36. Although, I am at a community college and that is the only reason there are so many older individuals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook