Career Change to Mechanical Engineering at age 30

In summary, the speaker currently works in the pharmaceutical industry but wants to transition to engineering due to developing medical conditions from chemical exposure. They are concerned about age being an issue in their career change, but are realistic about competing against new graduates and more experienced individuals. They also have concerns about the long-term stability of the engineering job market and potential ageism in the field. However, they are determined to pursue their passion and appreciate any advice or questions about their career change. Overall, they believe age should not be a barrier to pursuing a career in engineering.
EpsilonDelta
I currently work in the pharmaceutical industry and I work in a lab testing purity of controlled substances. I have wanted to do engineering for several years now, more specifically electrical or mechanical. I have started to develop medical conditions due to exposure to chemicals in the lab. So now is the best time for me to start making the change. I am 29 about to be 30 in three months.

I am well aware of the rigor involved in the engineering programs and that does not bother me at all, but what does concern me is... will age be an issue? I can only assume I will be ~35 +/- 1 years old when I finish the program.

I am going in this with realistic expectations and I know I will be competing against new graduates and others who are more seasoned.

Another thing I was curious about is how stable is the job market for engineers long term? I know all careers have no guarantee of stability at any given time, but over the long haul how would engineering employment hold up? When I am in my 50's, (granted I am keeping up with technology and information), will jobs still be available and offered for someone like me? Granted at that time I would have ~15 years of experience under my belt.

I know a few engineers who are about my age now and have good paying and stable jobs. I hear computer science deals with ageism a great deal and I was wondering if this happens in engineering as well?

I do appreciate any tips, advice, or questions you may have for me. I do appreciate your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Age doesn't matter. You could be 50 and still pursue a career in the engineering field... I would say 80% of the people in my engineering classes are between the ages of 27-36. Although, I am at a community college and that is the only reason there are so many older individuals.

What are the benefits of pursuing a career change to mechanical engineering at age 30?

There are several benefits to pursuing a career change to mechanical engineering at age 30. Firstly, mechanical engineering is a highly in-demand field with a wide range of job opportunities. This means that you will have a secure and stable career with potential for growth. Additionally, as an experienced individual, you may have transferable skills or industry knowledge that will give you a competitive edge in the job market. Furthermore, mechanical engineers typically have higher salaries compared to other professions, providing financial stability. Lastly, a career change to mechanical engineering may offer the opportunity to work on innovative and exciting projects that can be personally fulfilling.

What are the challenges of pursuing a career change to mechanical engineering at age 30?

One of the main challenges of pursuing a career change to mechanical engineering at age 30 is the need for additional education and training. Depending on your previous education and work experience, you may need to complete a bachelor's degree or additional certifications to enter the field. This can be time-consuming and may require financial investment. Additionally, starting a new career in a new field can be intimidating and may require a period of adjustment. It is important to have a strong support system and be prepared to face challenges and setbacks along the way.

Is it too late to pursue a career change to mechanical engineering at age 30?

No, it is not too late to pursue a career change to mechanical engineering at age 30. While it may seem daunting to start a new career at this age, it is important to remember that age is just a number. With determination, hard work, and dedication, you can successfully transition into a career in mechanical engineering. Many successful engineers have made career changes later in life and have found great success in the field. It is never too late to pursue your passions and goals.

What skills do I need to have for a successful career change to mechanical engineering at age 30?

Some essential skills for a successful career change to mechanical engineering at age 30 include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and excellent communication skills. As a mechanical engineer, you will need to be able to think critically and creatively to design and develop solutions to complex problems. Additionally, having a solid foundation in math, physics, and computer-aided design (CAD) is crucial. It is also beneficial to have a willingness to continuously learn and adapt to new technologies and industry developments.

What resources are available to assist with a career change to mechanical engineering at age 30?

There are several resources available to assist with a career change to mechanical engineering at age 30. These include career counseling services, online courses and certifications, industry networking events, and mentorship programs. It is also helpful to connect with other professionals who have successfully made a career change to mechanical engineering for guidance and advice. Additionally, researching and staying updated on the latest industry developments and technologies can help you prepare for the transition and stand out in the job market.