1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Career Opportunities For Physics Majors-Math minors

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    Hello Again.

I am new to the forum and this is actually the 2nd time ive asked a question. I wanted to get some insight into what Physics Majors that minor in math have the possibility of doing in the carrer world. I should note that I am in college pursuing my undergraduate degree in these fields. Upon completion I want to get an Masters in a High Energy or Applied Physics program. I have looked up different things online concerning this. I just wanted to see what some more defined people in the field would consider. Not to step on anyone's toes but education is not really an interest of mine. What fields and companies that have a demand for graduates in my program would also be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2014 #2
    Not to be a downer, but currently being in a Masters program in for high energy density physics, I can tell you that my career options are not very promising. If I could go back and reapply to a different program, I would have done something in engineering, geophysics, or atmospheric science. Come to think of it, I would have even considered financial engineering (FE). Depending on where you go and how you do with the FE curriculum, you could probably get a starting salary of 200K working for some people on Wall St. With your minor in math, you'd probably feel right at home crunching numbers. Me on the other hand, I've been doing everything I can to figure out what jobs I might still be qualified for without any practical experience in anything but solving textbook problems and coding in MatLab. Verdict: going into a Masters in Physics currently seems like one of the biggest makes I've ever made in hoping of having a career one day. Last summer I used my BS in physics to get a job as produce clerk at my local supermarket. Hope this helps. God speed and good luck!

4. Mar 30, 2014 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You do realize that this thread is two years old?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook