Career prospects for students graduating in 2012

In summary: I have heard from many people that in the last few years there has been a lot of demand for physicists in the job market, and that people who have a degree in physics have many opportunities open to them.

What are the employment prospects for physics grads in 2012 vs 2008/2009 grads?

• Better for 2012 grads

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • About the same for 2012 grads

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Worse for 2012 grads

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone. One of the recurring themes here in the Career Guidance section is how career prospects for physics graduates (or in fact any graduates) depends to a significant extent on when they have entered the labour force (e.g. students who have graduated in 1998 will have very different experiences to those who have graduated in 2008).

Therefore, I have posted a poll stating whether the employment situation/career prospects for students who have graduated in 2012 better, worse or about the same as those who have graduated in 2008/2009 (the height of the financial crisis). I appreciate any insights that all of you can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
...who exactly do you expect to respond to this poll? Physicists who simultaneously graduated in 2008 and 2012?

Nabeshin said:
...who exactly do you expect to respond to this poll? Physicists who simultaneously graduated in 2008 and 2012?

I expect anyone with an opinion about employment prospects in the US to respond. After all, we all have opinions (based on anecdotes as well as official statistics), so I would like to get a sense of where opinions within Physics Forums (or at least those who post on the Career Guidance section) lie as far as the question I posed is concerned.

Having been on the other end of the hiring table...

It's been a really massive roller coaster ride. In 2007 and 2008, we didn't hire anyone, and we were actively *firing* large numbers of people. Since 2009, things have been episodic. People think that things are going well for a quarter, people get hired. Then something happens, and people think things are bad, and so there is no hiring for the next quarter.

Over the last three months, I've gotten the sense that things in the US are improving but things in Europe have gotten worse.

One reason I've given up trying to figure out what the employment picture is six years from now, is that I haven't got much of a clue what the employment picture is going to be like six months from now.

lasily said:
Hi,

I believe after graduating in physics, one has many options open to make a bright future. Physics as a subject has always been in demand. One can become a research worker, a scientist and can also opt for mechanical engineering.

Do you know people who have done those things recently, or is that just something you heard and started saying?

1. What job opportunities are available for students graduating in 2012?

There are a variety of job opportunities available for students graduating in 2012, depending on their field of study and interests. Some popular industries for recent graduates include technology, healthcare, finance, and marketing. Additionally, many companies offer entry-level positions and internship programs for recent graduates.

2. Are there any specific skills or experience that employers are looking for in 2012 graduates?

Employers are often looking for candidates who have strong communication skills, problem-solving abilities, and the ability to work well in a team. Additionally, having relevant internships or work experience in your field of study can make you a more competitive candidate.

3. How has the job market for 2012 graduates been affected by the current economic climate?

The job market for 2012 graduates has been impacted by the current economic climate in various ways. While some industries may have seen a decline in job opportunities, others have continued to grow. It is important for students to research and stay informed about the job market in their desired field of work.

4. Are there any specific industries or regions that are experiencing a higher demand for 2012 graduates?

The demand for 2012 graduates varies depending on the industry and region. Some industries, such as healthcare and technology, are experiencing a high demand for skilled workers. Additionally, certain regions may have a higher concentration of job opportunities in specific fields, so it is important to research and consider different locations for job prospects.

5. How can students increase their chances of finding a job after graduation?

Students can increase their chances of finding a job after graduation by networking, building a strong resume and online presence, and gaining relevant work experience through internships or part-time jobs. It is also important for students to stay informed about the job market and actively apply to job openings in their field of interest.