Careers in the Space Industry that aren't Aero/Mech

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Yashbhatt
Messages
348
Reaction score
13
Are there STEM related careers in the space industry which are different from Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering? If so, what are they?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Every company involved in aerospace operates an office, just like any other company. They need bookkeepers, accountants, computer programmers, etc. If the company is involved in hardware production, they need machinists, assemblers, test personnel, packing and shipping people.

You might look at what I have said above and respond, "But that's not STEM," to which I would have to say, you have narrowed the field to what is largely an engineering function and then asked for a non-engineering job. That's a pretty tough order to fill.
 
Dr.D said:
Every company involved in aerospace operates an office, just like any other company. They need bookkeepers, accountants, computer programmers, etc. If the company is involved in hardware production, they need machinists, assemblers, test personnel, packing and shipping people.

You might look at what I have said above and respond, "But that's not STEM," to which I would have to say, you have narrowed the field to what is largely an engineering function and then asked for a non-engineering job. That's a pretty tough order to fill.
I get that. Do they need physicists?
 
It is not uncommon to find physicists doing engineering work, but they are often at a disadvantage.
 
Okay. Thanks. And isn't Computer Science a part of STEM?
 
a lot of others, including:

physics; metallurgy; materials science & engineering; chemistry; chemical engineering; electrical engineering; computer science & engineering; math ...

and (for live payloads) biology & medicine