1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job Skills Careers in the Space Industry that aren't Aero/Mech

1. Mar 31, 2017 #1
    Are there STEM related careers in the space industry which are different from Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering? If so, what are they?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2017 #2
    Every company involved in aerospace operates an office, just like any other company. They need bookkeepers, accountants, computer programmers, etc. If the company is involved in hardware production, they need machinists, assemblers, test personnel, packing and shipping people.

You might look at what I have said above and respond, "But that's not STEM," to which I would have to say, you have narrowed the field to what is largely an engineering function and then asked for a non-engineering job. That's a pretty tough order to fill.

4. Mar 31, 2017 #3
    I get that. Do they need physicists?

5. Mar 31, 2017 #4
    It is not uncommon to find physicists doing engineering work, but they are often at a disadvantage.

6. Mar 31, 2017 #5
    Okay. Thanks. And isn't Computer Science a part of STEM?

7. Apr 2, 2017 #6
    a lot of others, including:

physics; metallurgy; materials science & engineering; chemistry; chemical engineering; electrical engineering; computer science & engineering; math ...

and (for live payloads) biology & medicine

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted