1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Careers like being a meteorologist?

1. Aug 9, 2008 #1

tgt

What are some careers similar to this profession?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are a lot of jobs, both goverment and consultancy, advising on air polution issues for planning and permitting of plants, new roads, housing devlopment etc.

These require a knowledge of weather patterns, atmospheric chemistry, meteorological effects, modelling etc.

4. Aug 9, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

What major does meteorology fall under? I don't remember seeing it anywhere for my college's course catalog.

5. Aug 9, 2008 #4
    physical science

6. Aug 9, 2008 #5
    Atmospheric studies?

7. Aug 9, 2008 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Where I used to go to school (UW-Madison), they had a Meteorology Dept., which I think now has been renamed as the Dept. of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences. The link, though, still has "meteor" name in the url.

Zz.

8. Aug 9, 2008 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It varies, people generally come from a background in either maths/computer modelling, atmospheric chemistry or geography.
    Meteorologists with a knowledge of chemstry, especially pollution / organic chemistry are highly employable!

9. Aug 9, 2008 #8
    I imagine with the growing popularity of wind turbines and solar panels, Atmospheric Scientists are being used to determine optimal locations as well.

10. Aug 10, 2008 #9

tgt

I meant a job that's applied like meteorology in a science area that uses lots of maths or stats.

It doesn't have to do with the weather.

11. Aug 10, 2008 #10

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Or did you mean a job where you could be wrong more often than not and still keep your job?

12. Aug 10, 2008 #11

Defennder

Homework Helper

There's an old joke which goes "Economists are there to make weathermen look good."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?