Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Careers like being a meteorologist?

1. Aug 9, 2008 #1

tgt

What are some careers similar to this profession?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are a lot of jobs, both goverment and consultancy, advising on air polution issues for planning and permitting of plants, new roads, housing devlopment etc.

These require a knowledge of weather patterns, atmospheric chemistry, meteorological effects, modelling etc.

4. Aug 9, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

What major does meteorology fall under? I don't remember seeing it anywhere for my college's course catalog.

5. Aug 9, 2008 #4
    physical science

6. Aug 9, 2008 #5
    Atmospheric studies?

7. Aug 9, 2008 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Where I used to go to school (UW-Madison), they had a Meteorology Dept., which I think now has been renamed as the http://www.meteor.wisc.edu/" [Broken]. The link, though, still has "meteor" name in the url.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  8. Aug 9, 2008 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It varies, people generally come from a background in either maths/computer modelling, atmospheric chemistry or geography.
    Meteorologists with a knowledge of chemstry, especially pollution / organic chemistry are highly employable!

9. Aug 9, 2008 #8
    I imagine with the growing popularity of wind turbines and solar panels, Atmospheric Scientists are being used to determine optimal locations as well.

10. Aug 10, 2008 #9

tgt

I meant a job that's applied like meteorology in a science area that uses lots of maths or stats.

It doesn't have to do with the weather.

11. Aug 10, 2008 #10

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Or did you mean a job where you could be wrong more often than not and still keep your job?

12. Aug 10, 2008 #11

Defennder

Homework Helper

There's an old joke which goes "Economists are there to make weathermen look good."

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook