1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carnot engine problem

1. Aug 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Carnot engine uses hot and cold reservoirs that have temperatures of 1684 and 842 K, respectively. The input heat for this engine is |QH|. The work delivered by the engine is used to operate a Carnot heat pump. The pump removes heat from the 842-K reservoir and puts it into a hot reservoir at a temperature T`. The amount of heat removed from the 842-K reservoir is also |QH|. Find the temperature T`.

2. Relevant equations

Qc/Qh = Tc/Th
    Qh = W + Qc

3. The attempt at a solution
    This problem was posted before with no solution and now I'm running into the same problem. I've attempted the problem by first getting Qh=2Qc for the carnot engine. Then this input heat + W is used to operate a heat pump. So I got Qh + w = 2Qc. I'm stuck starting here. I'm not sure how this input heat would fit into the heat pump cycle.

The answer is suppose to be 1263

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2012 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

For the Carnot Engine section, how do you find the efficiency of the engine? (express W in terms of Qh).

For the heat pump section, we are inputting W to move Qh to some other reservoir Q (at temp T'). How do you find the effectiveness of a heat pump?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook