Thermal Question -- Carnot Engine

In summary, the heat engine extracts 745J from a 592-K reservoir during each cycle and rejects 485J to a cool reservoir. The efficiency is always less than 1 and the temperature of the cool reservoir is not found in the answer.
StrSpeed

Homework Statement

A Carnot engine extracts 745 J from a 592-K reservoir during each cycle and rejects 485J to a cool reservoir. It operates 16 cycles per second. Find work, efficient, temp of cool reservoir.

Homework Equations

W = Qh - Qc
n=Wout/Qh

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sure I can do the problem I just don't understand what the problem means by rejects. If someone could explain possibly that would be absolutely fantastic. I've spent a good deal of time reading and googling but I am still missing it.

I just can't seem to figure out how to get the 485J and 592K to relate.

Thank you so much!

I've gotten now :
W = 745J - 485J | This I know is right

Qc = Qh - W ===> Qc = 592K-W (from above)
I'm not sure this is right, and the answer isn't in the back of the book.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let my try to clarify it for you.

A heat engine is a machine that transforms heat to work. You should know (2º law of thermodynamics) that heat cannot be completely transformed to work, there has to be some "wasted heat" in this case the heat flowing to the cold reservoir. Otherwise you would be violating the second law. You can prove that maximum efficiency is achieved if the process is reversible, like on this case, a Carnot cycle, and you can also derive the expression for the efficiency of the carnot cycle, which is always less than 1, like it's supposed to.

##\eta = \frac{W}{Q_H} = \frac{Q_H-Q_C}{Q_H} = 1 - \frac{T_C}{T_H} < 1##

You can see a complete derivation of this expresion here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnot_heat_engine

As you can see, from this formula you can get the efficiency from the work which you know how to calculate, then you can use this to get the temperature of the cold reservior.

I hope this helped you!

StrSpeed said:
I just don't understand what the problem means by rejects.
It just means the heat that flows to the cold reservoir.

Thank you two both so much. I feel ridiculous now.

:oops:

What is a Carnot Engine?

A Carnot Engine is a theoretical engine that operates between two heat reservoirs at different temperatures and uses reversible processes to convert heat into work. It is considered to be the most efficient heat engine possible, as it follows the Carnot Cycle which has the maximum possible efficiency.

How does a Carnot Engine work?

A Carnot Engine works by using the principle of heat transfer between two reservoirs at different temperatures. The engine takes in heat energy from the hotter reservoir, performs work, and then releases the remaining heat energy to the colder reservoir. This process is repeated in a cycle, and the efficiency of the engine is determined by the temperature difference between the two reservoirs.

What is the efficiency of a Carnot Engine?

The efficiency of a Carnot Engine is given by the formula: Efficiency = (Thot - Tcold) / Thot, where Thot is the temperature of the hot reservoir and Tcold is the temperature of the cold reservoir. This means that the efficiency of a Carnot Engine increases as the temperature difference between the two reservoirs increases.

How is a Carnot Engine different from other heat engines?

A Carnot Engine is different from other heat engines because it operates on the Carnot Cycle, which is a theoretical cycle that is impossible to achieve in real-world systems. Other heat engines, such as steam engines or internal combustion engines, operate on different cycles and have lower efficiencies compared to a Carnot Engine.

What are the applications of a Carnot Engine?

Although a Carnot Engine is a theoretical concept, it has real-world applications in the field of thermodynamics. It serves as a benchmark for the maximum efficiency that can be achieved by any heat engine. It also helps in understanding the limitations of real-world engines and in designing more efficient engines.