1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian and vector equations

1. May 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The position vectors of two points a and b on a line are < 2,1,7> and < 1,4,-1>
    Find the parametric vector equation for any point on the line.
    Find the linear Cartesian equation of the line using x, y, z as coordinates.

2. Relevant equations

For the parametric eq.

x = a + λu where u is a unit vector

3. The attempt at a solution

b -a = < -1, 3, -8 > , call it u
    Norm of b -a = √(-1)^2 + (3)^2 + -(-8)^2
    unit vector u = <-1/√74, 3/ √74 , -8 /√74>

x = < 2, 1, 7 > + λ<-1/√74, 3/ √74 , -8 /√74>

For the Cartesian equation I have.

x = 2 + λ(-1/√74)

y = 1 + λ(3/ √74)

z = 7 + λ(-8 /√74)

How is she looking?
    I have a question if it says linear Cartesian equation does that mean I have to eliminate lambda and write it all together or it is fine to leave as I have?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2013 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

You can solve each of the the Cartesian equations you have for λ and hence put the equations into 'symmetric' form.

4. May 20, 2013 #3
    OK. Does it look correct otherwise? Thanks.

5. May 20, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

6. May 20, 2013 #5
    It is the same but different. I have mad mistakes in the old one. So I redid it. Is it correct?

7. May 20, 2013 #6

CAF123

Gold Member

I believe so

8. May 20, 2013 #7
    Thanks, sorry for the re- post.

9. May 20, 2013 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

When t= 0, x= 2, y= 1, z= 7 which is (2, 1, 7), one of the two given points.
    when [itex]\sqrt{74}[/itex], x= 2- 1= 1, y= 1+ 3= 4, z= 7- 8= -1 which is (1, 4, -1), the other point. Since all the calculations are linear, this is a straight line and since it contains the two points that define the line, it is the correct line.

But I am puzzled at your use of [itex]\sqrt{74}[/itex]. You don''t have to use a unit vector. You could just as well use x= 2- t, y= 1+ 3t, z= y- 8t, avoiding the square root.

Yes, eliminate [itex]\lambda[/itex]. The simplest way to do that is to solve each equation for [itex]\lambda[/itex]: [itex]\lambda= -\sqrt{74}(x- 2)[/itex], [itex]\lambda= \sqrt{74}(y- 1)/3[/itex], and [itex]\lambda= \sqrt{74}(z- 7)/(-8)[/itex]. Since those are all equal to [itex]\lambda[/itex] they are equal to each other:
    [tex]\frac{x- 2}{-1}= \frac{y- 1}{3}= \frac{z- 7}{-8}[/tex]
    Notice that the [itex]\sqrt{74}[/itex] terms all cancel.

10. May 20, 2013 #9
    I don't know just used it. The unit vector I mean. THX DOOODE!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted