Calculating Arc Length on a Circle with Cartesian Coordinates

In summary, the question is asking for the arc length measured counterclockwise on a circle with its center at the origin, given the Cartesian coordinates of a point on the circle. The radius can be found using the distance formula and there is a relationship between the radius and the circumference of a circle. The formula for radian is arc length divided by radius, and using this formula, the arc length can be determined.
Kikki:)

Homework Statement

The Carteian coordinates of a point on a circle with its center at the origin are [0.40, 0.30]. What is the arc length measured counterclockwise on the circle from the positive x-axis to this point?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Wouldn't they be the complete opposite as in negative cordinates. Since going counter clockwise is - and clock wise is + . I ues the main question I'm asking is what does it mean with the coordinates, does it mean that 0.4 left and 0.3 up? But then what would the radius be? I guess I need a little help getting started otherwise I can do the rest I think on my own. :] You all have helped me so much! I'm not great at torque and rotational motion. More better at the concepts, I'm hrrible at algebra.

Physics news on Phys.org
It says that the center is at the origin, point (0,0), and a point on the circle is (.40,.30). Isn't there some way that you could find the radius from that? Once you have that, is there some sort of "relationship" between the radius of a circle and it's diameter?

Wouldn't they be the complete opposite as in negative cordinates. Since going counter clockwise is - and clock wise is + .

You are still measuring a distance (of the arc), are you not?

QuarkCharmer said:
It says that the center is at the origin, point (0,0), and a point on the circle is (.40,.30). Isn't there some way that you could find the radius from that? Once you have that, is there some sort of "relationship" between the radius of a circle and it's diameter?

So if its positioned at (0,0) then that would mean that the radius is 4 and the 8. Yes there is because radius is half of the diameter.

So this is basically an easy question but I'm just making it hard.

I meant circumference, not diameter! Sorry about that.

Isn't there some relationship between the radius and the circumference? (think about what a radian is)

The radius is going to be the value given by the distance formula between the given points right?

QuarkCharmer said:
I meant circumference, not diameter! Sorry about that.

Isn't there some relationship between the radius and the circumference? (think about what a radian is)

The radius is going to be the value given by the distance formula between the given points right?

Yes because 2[tex]\pi[/tex]r and that is also to find the radian. You take the radius and use that to go around the make up of the circle which is usualy 6.28 with just a circle. So the formula for radian = arc length/radius .

Using the formula, arc-length = theta*radius, can't you figure out the arc length?

1. What are Cartesian coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates, also known as rectangular coordinates, are a system used to locate points in space or on a plane. It uses two perpendicular lines, the x-axis and y-axis, to create a grid where any point can be identified by its distance from each axis.

2. Who invented the Cartesian coordinate system?

The Cartesian coordinate system was invented by the French mathematician and philosopher, René Descartes, in the 17th century.

3. How do you plot a point using Cartesian coordinates?

To plot a point using Cartesian coordinates, you first identify the x-coordinate (horizontal distance from the y-axis) and then the y-coordinate (vertical distance from the x-axis). The point is then plotted at the intersection of these two coordinates on the grid.

4. What is the difference between polar and Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates use a different system to locate points, using a distance from the origin and an angle from a fixed reference line. Cartesian coordinates, on the other hand, use two perpendicular lines to locate points. Both systems have their own advantages and are used in different situations.

5. What are some real-world applications of Cartesian coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates are used in many fields, including mathematics, physics, engineering, and computer science. Some examples of real-world applications include plotting locations on a map, analyzing data in graphs and charts, and creating 3D models in computer graphics.