Coordinate Systems and Components of a Vector

In summary, the problem involves determining the Cartesian coordinates and distance between two points given their polar coordinates. The Cartesian coordinates were calculated to be (2.165m,1.250m) and (-1.900m ,3.290m), and the distance between the points was calculated to be 4.54m. However, the given correct answer of 5.27m may be incorrect due to a possible error in the problem or answer key.
Sam Cepeda

Homework Statement

Two points in a plane have polar coordinates P1(2.500m, pie/6) and P2(3.800m, 2pie/3) .

Determine their Cartesian coordinates and the distance between them in the Cartesian coordinate system. Round the distance to a nearest centimeter.

Homework Equations

Ax=Acosθ
Ay=Asinθ​
dist((x, y), (a, b)) = √(x - a)² + (y - b)²

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I converted the points to cartesian and got (2.165m,1.250m) and (-1.900m ,3.290m)

I'm confused because when I try to find the distance between the points, I use the distance formula and get 4.54meters as my answer. The correct answer should be 5.27m

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
It would appear that your result is good and the book's is incorrect. Perhaps there's an error in the problem answer.

Sometimes they like to "refresh" problems by changing some of the given values but forget to update the answer key.

Likes Sam Cepeda

What is a coordinate system?

A coordinate system is a mathematical system used to represent and locate points in space. It consists of a set of axes and a reference point, known as the origin, from which distances and angles can be measured.

What are the components of a vector?

A vector has two main components: magnitude and direction. The magnitude is the size or length of the vector, and the direction is the angle at which the vector is pointing.

What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. For example, speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity (speed with direction) is a vector quantity.

How do you determine the components of a vector?

To determine the components of a vector, you can use trigonometry and the length and angle of the vector. The horizontal component is found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle, and the vertical component is found by multiplying the magnitude by the sine of the angle.

What are some real-life applications of coordinate systems and vectors?

Coordinate systems and vectors are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and navigation. They are used to describe and analyze motion, forces, and positions of objects in space. They are also used in computer graphics and video game programming to calculate the movement and positions of objects on the screen.