Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian Product of Metric Spaces

1. Sep 6, 2006 #1

Hello everyone.

I read in a book that for metric spaces [itex](X, \rho), (Y, \sigma)[/itex] we can form the metric space [itex] (X \times Y, \tau_p) [/itex], for [itex]1 \leq p < \infty[/itex] where [itex]\tau_p[/itex] is given by:

[tex]\tau_p((x_1,y_1), (x_2,y_2)) = (\rho(x_1,x_2)^p + \sigma(y_1,y_2)^p)^\frac{1}{p}[/tex]

I can easily verify the positivity and symmetry of [itex]\tau_p[/itex] but verifying the triangle innequality is a bit tricky. Any suggestions? Here is what i've tried with no luck:

[tex](\rho(x_1,x_2)^p + \sigma(y_1,y_2)^p)^\frac{1}{p} \leq \rho(x_1,x_2) + \sigma(y_1,y_2) [/tex]

since rho and sigma are metrics they each satisfy the triangle innequality in their respective spaces and so we have for any (x3,y3) in X*Y,

RHS [tex] \leq \rho(x_1,x_3) + \rho (x_3,x_2) + \sigma(y_1,y_3) + \sigma(y_3,y_2) [/tex]

and I'm stuck. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How did you prove the Euclidean metric on R² satisfies the triangle equality? Wouldn't the same proof work here?
  4. Sep 7, 2006 #3

Thanks Hurkyl. It was even easier than that since I had already proved the Minkowski inequality, so I just had to recognize that I could apply that here. However, It was your comment that led me to recognize this. Thank You!
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?