Motion On An Off Center Circle In Polar Coordinates

In summary, a particle moves with constant speed around a circle of radius b, with the circle tangential to the y axis. The velocity vector in polar coordinates can be found using the equations r = rˆr and v = ˙rˆr + r˙θˆθ, where ω = ˙θ and ωt = θ. However, it is important to note that the angle θ in polar coordinates refers to the angle that the position vector makes with the horizontal, not the angle that the radius of the circle makes with the horizontal. The equation of the graph is r = 2bcosθ, and it is necessary to consider both positive and negative values of cosθ
duran9987

Homework Statement

A particle moves with constant speed ν around a circle of radius b, with the circle offset from the origin of coordinates by a distance b so that it is tangential to the y axis. Find the particle's velocity vector in polar coordinates.

Homework Equations

(dots for time derivatives are a bit off centered)[/B]
Position Vector:
r = r ˆr
Velocity Vector:
v = ˙r ˆr + r ˙ θˆθ
Angular Speed:
ω = ˙ θ →(Integrating with respect to time)→ ωt = θ
v = bω → ω = v/b

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the equation of the graph to be r = 2bcosθ.
Differentiating with respect to time i get
˙r = -2bsinθ˙ θ → ˙r = -2bωsinωt.

Substituting the into the velocity vector i obtain:
v = -2bωsinωtˆr + 2bωcosωtˆθ
= -2vsin(vt/b)ˆr + 2vcos(vt/b)ˆθ

what am i doing wrong here?, the book uses a confusing approach (confusing to me). For the velocity vector they have…

v = −v sin(vt/2b)ˆr + v cos(vt/2b)ˆθ

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't confuse the polar coordinate θ with the angle φ, say, that the radius of the circle makes to the horizontal.

Does v = b dθ/dt or does v = b dφ/dt?

Attachments

• particle on circle.png
    particle on circle.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,074
TSny said:
Don't confuse the polar coordinate θ with the angle φ, say, that the radius of the circle makes to the horizontal.

Thanks for the response!
TSny said:

Hello TSny, thank you for the reply. So just to clarify, when i am evaluating the vector in polar coordinates i should always consider the angle between the radius of the circle and the horizontal, not the angle that the position vector makes with the horizontal??

duran9987 said:
Hello TSny, thank you for the reply. So just to clarify, when i am evaluating the vector in polar coordinates i should always consider the angle between the radius of the circle and the horizontal, not the angle that the position vector makes with the horizontal??
You may need to consider both angles, just be aware that they are different. The theta in the polar coordinates refers to the angle the position vector makes with the horizontal.
In your equations, you have equated ##\omega## with ##\dot{\theta}##, but taken it to be the constant rate of rotation about the circle's centre, which would make it ##\dot{\phi}##.

Likes duran9987
You get r=2bcosθ for the equation of the graph in polar coordinates. What happens if cosθ is negative? Don't you miss something in the equation?
As for the velocity in the polar coordinates r and θ: See picture. Can you find a relation between the angles θ and Φ? What angle does the velocity vector v make with the unit vectors of the (R, θ) polar coordinate system? What are its components in that system?

Remember the speed is V along the circle. So the angular velocity is V/b with respect to the centre of the circle, but dθ/dt is not equal to it.
shiftcirc.JPG

Last edited:
ehild said:
You get r=2bcosθ for the equation of the graph in polar coordinates. What happens if cosθ is negative? Don't you miss something in the equation?
As for the velocity in the polar coordinates r and θ: See picture. Can you find a relation between the angles θ and Φ? What angle does the velocity vector v make with the unit vectors of the (R, θ) polar coordinate system? What are its components in that system?

Remember the speed is V along the circle. So the angular velocity is V/b with respect to the centre of the circle, but dθ/dt is not equal to it.View attachment 87578

This clears a lot up for me. Thank you very much. I see that Φ = 2θ and can now make sense of the books equations. But I am thinking of your question about negative cosθ.. for values of 0 ≤ θ ≤ π .. 2bcosθ just traces the graph… I'm not sure what the equation is missing.

The radius is positive. How to make a negative number positive and of the same magnitude?

why the angular velocity is counting from the basis of the x,y origin where the particle is moving along the circle?why we are not counting the angular velocity from the origin of the circle??

Attachments

• images (10).jpg
    images (10).jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 582
The key to this problem is expressing the position vector from the origin in terms of b and ##\theta##:
$$\vec{r}=2b\cos{\theta}\ \vec{i}_r$$
and recognizing that ##\theta = \phi /2## so that$$\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\omega/2$$

Last edited:
Thank you for your co-operation.

1. What is motion on an off center circle in polar coordinates?

Motion on an off center circle in polar coordinates refers to the movement of an object along a circular path that is not centered at the origin in a polar coordinate system. In this type of motion, the distance from the origin and the angle from the positive x-axis are used to describe the position of the object.

2. How is motion on an off center circle in polar coordinates different from motion on a centered circle?

In motion on a centered circle, the center of the circle is located at the origin in the polar coordinate system. However, in motion on an off center circle, the center of the circle is located at a point other than the origin. This results in a different set of equations and calculations to describe the motion.

3. What factors affect the motion on an off center circle in polar coordinates?

The factors that affect the motion on an off center circle in polar coordinates include the radius of the circle, the location of the center of the circle, and the angular velocity of the object. These factors determine the distance traveled and the direction of motion at any given time.

4. How is velocity calculated in motion on an off center circle in polar coordinates?

Velocity in motion on an off center circle is calculated using the polar coordinate system, where the velocity is represented by two components: the radial component and the tangential component. The radial component represents the change in distance from the origin, while the tangential component represents the change in angle.

5. What are some real-world applications of motion on an off center circle in polar coordinates?

Motion on an off center circle in polar coordinates has various real-world applications, including satellite orbiting around a planet, motion of a pendulum, and the movement of a planet around the sun. It is also used in engineering and robotics to control the motion of machines and vehicles.