1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian vector application involving two forces.

1. Jun 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two forces act on an object at an angle of 50°. One force is 150 N. The resultant
    force is 200 N. Find the second force and the angle that it makes with the
    resultant.

2. Relevant equations

Ux=|U|cos(theta)
    Uy=|U|sin(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution

Basically I began by trying to find the components of the 150 N force by using the formulas mentioned above, which left me with U = [150, 0]. I then tried adding the two forces together, i.e. R = [150 + vx, 0 + vy] and then tried to find the magnitude of the resultant, which I knew was equal to 200. I squared both sides leaving me with (150 + vx)^2 + (0 + vy)^2 = 40000, however I did not know where to go from here. Any help is appreciated, thanks alot.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You haven't made use of the 50° angle. Assume that second force has a magnitude of F and makes an angle of 50° with respect to the x-axis. Use its components in the equation you wrote.

4. Jun 27, 2008 #3
    If I'm understanding this correctly, could I assume that Vx=0.6428F and Vy=0.7660F and use those directly in my (150 + vx)^2 + (0 + vy)^2 = 40000 equation or would I have to use Fcos(50) and Fsin(50) instead? Thanks for the help so far.

5. Jun 27, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Either way will work, as sin(50) = 0.7660 (at least to a good approximation). Personally, I would use cos(50) and sin(50), only plugging in values in the last step.

6. Jun 27, 2008 #5
    Will do, Thanks alot Doc Al.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?