Cauchy sequence and topological problems

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems in advance calculus and provides a hint for each. For question #9, the hint is to show that the sequence is bounded, which can be proven using the fact that the sequence converges. For question #10, the hint is to use the monotone convergence theorem and prove that the sequence is monotone and bounded. The speaker also mentions that they were able to solve question #10 using a similar approach after studying different books.
furi0n
[PLAIN]http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/1575/photo0138d.jpg
Hi, on thursday, i have exam of advance calculus and i could not solve two problem in study sheet given by İnstructor. By 9 question, i prove by add an subtract XnY to |XnYn-XY| and i have found that |Xn(Yn-Y)+ Y(Xn-X)|<=|Xn(Yn-Y)|+|Y(Xn-X)|<=|Xn||Yn-Y)|+|Y||(Xn-X)| but, to use the last inequality, i need to know that Xn=a(Yn-Y) but how can i get that?

by last question, i could not have a idea and apply Cauchy properties to this :(..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For #9, it would be helpful to show that a convergent sequence is bounded. Can you prove that?

For #10, have you seen the monotone convergence theorem? If so, prove inductively that the sequence is monotone and bounded.

I'm not sure what your professor was hinting at, but I'll think about it more...

furi0n said:
[PLAIN]http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/1575/photo0138d.jpg
Hi, on thursday, i have exam of advance calculus and i could not solve two problem in study sheet given by İnstructor. By 9 question, i prove by add an subtract XnY to |XnYn-XY| and i have found that |Xn(Yn-Y)+ Y(Xn-X)|<=|Xn(Yn-Y)|+|Y(Xn-X)|<=|Xn||Yn-Y)|+|Y||(Xn-X)| but, to use the last inequality, i need to know that Xn=a(Yn-Y) but how can i get that?
No, you don't. You just need that |Xn| is bounded and that follows from the fact that it converges.

by last question, i could not have a idea and apply Cauchy properties to this :(..
Well, you are given a hint.
[tex]|x_{n+2}- x_{n+1}|= |\frac{1}{3+ x_{n+1}}- \frac{1}{3+ x_n}|= |\frac{3+x_n- (3+ x_{n+1}}{(3+ x_{n+1})(3+ x_n)}|= \frac{x_{n+1}- x_n}{(3+x_{n+1})(3+x_n}[/tex]
But it is clear that all [itex]x_n[/itex] are positive so [itex](3+ x_{n+1})(3+ x_n)> 9[/itex].

Now, with [itex]x_1= 1[/itex], [itex]x_2= 1/(4)= 1/2[/itex] so that [itex]x_3- x_2\le (1/9)|x_2- x_1| 1/9(1/2)[/itex], [itex]|x_4- x_3|\le (1/9)|x_3- x_2|\le (1/2)(1/9)^2[/itex], etc.

That's important because to use the Cauchy Criterion, we need to show that [itex]|x_n- x_m|[/itex] goes to 0 as m and n both go to infinity. We can, without loss of generality, assume that n>m and say [itex]|x_n- x_m|\le |x_n- x_{n-1}|+ |x_{n-1}- x_m|\le |x_n- x_{n-1}|+ |x_{n-1}- x_{n-2}|+ |x_{n-2}+ x_m|[/itex], etc., eventually arriving at
[itex]|x_n- x_m|\le |x_n- x_{n-1}|+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ |x_{m+1}- x_m|[/itex]
[itex]|x_n- x_m|\le [(1/9)^m((1/2)(1/9)^{n-m}+ (1/2)(1/9)^{n-m-1}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ (1/2)][/itex]
[itex]|x_n- x_m|\le (1/2)(1/9)^m\sum_{i= 0}^{n- m} (1/9)^i[/itex]
which, because all terms are positive, is certainly less than the sum we get if we extend the sum to infinity:
[itex]|x_n- x_m|\le (1/2)(1/9)^m\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}(1/9)^i[/itex]
which then is [itex](1/2)(1/9)^m/[/itex] times a geometric series which can be summed for all n and then let m go to infinity also.

Once you have shown that this is a Cauchy sequence, and so converges, you take the limit on both sides of [itex]x_{n+1}= 1/(3+ x_n)[/itex] to find the limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
@spamiam
for #9, it seems more complicated for me, and i think i can ask my classmates what is the relation between convergence and this question,
for #10, i know that theorem, but it does not monotone if i do correctly..
thank you for your help
@HallsofIvy,
for #9,we wrote this property with that assumption, i will learn the reason
for #10,today, i have solved this question by using similar way after studying on different books. it's also helpful thanks a lot.

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of numbers in which the terms become arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses. In other words, for any given distance, there exists a point in the sequence after which all the terms are within that distance of each other.

2. What is the importance of Cauchy sequences in mathematics?

Cauchy sequences are important in mathematics because they provide a way to rigorously define the concept of convergence. They are used extensively in analysis and other branches of mathematics to prove the convergence of series, integrals, and other mathematical objects.

3. How is a Cauchy sequence different from a convergent sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is different from a convergent sequence in that a Cauchy sequence only requires that the terms become arbitrarily close to each other, while a convergent sequence requires that the terms approach a specific limit value.

4. What are some examples of topological problems that involve Cauchy sequences?

One example of a topological problem involving Cauchy sequences is the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, which states that any bounded sequence in Euclidean space has a convergent subsequence. Another example is the completeness axiom, which states that any Cauchy sequence in a complete metric space must converge to a point within that space.

5. How are Cauchy sequences used in topology?

Cauchy sequences are used in topology to define the concept of completeness, which is an important property of metric spaces. They are also used in the proof of many theorems in topology, such as the Heine-Borel theorem and the Cauchy convergence criterion for topological spaces.