Real Analysis: show sequences have the same limit if |Xn-Yn| approaches 0

In summary, if {Xn} and {Yn} are sequences in ℝ and |Xn-Yn|→0, then either both sequences are divergent or they have the same limit. This can be proven by showing that lim(Xn-Yn)=lim(Xn)-lim(Yn), and if one sequence converges, then the other must also converge. If one sequence diverges, then the other must also diverge. This can also be proven by contradiction.
nyr91188

Homework Statement

Suppose {Xn}, {Yn} are sequences in ℝ and that |Xn-Yn|→0. Show that either: a) {Xn} and {Yn} are both divergent or b) {Xn} and {Yn} have the same limit.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I first prove that lim(Xn-Yn)=lim(Xn)-lim(Yn). I am not completely clear on the validity of this proof.
Since |Xn-Yn|→0, |Xn-Yn-(x-y)|<ε. Now |Xn-Yn-(x-y)|=|(Xn-x)-(Yn-y)|≥|Xn-x|-|Yn-y| (from the triangle inequality).
So, |Xn-x|-|Yn-y|<ε. Therefore, the lim(Xn-Yn)=lim(Xn)-lim(Yn).

So, we have that lim(Xn-Yn)=lim(Xn)-lim(Yn). Then, if I assume Xn→x, then 0=x-lim(Yn). So, lim(Yn)=x. So, they have the same limit. If Xn does not have a limit, then both {Xn} and {Yn} must be divergent.

I would like to know if this is the correct approach to take and if the proof is correct. Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you really need to prove are the following:

1) If one of them, say {xn}, converges, then so does the other.

2) If one of them diverges, then so does the other.

You can alternatively prove this by contradiction as follows. Assume one of them converges, and one of them diverges. Then show that this,
together with limn→∞|xn - yn|=0, leads to a contradiction.

Last edited:
But you still have to prove that if both of them converge that they converge to the same value?
I don't quite understand what is implied by limn→∞|xn-yn|=0. Does this mean the lim(xn)→lim(yn)?

nyr91188 said:
But you still have to prove that if both of them converge that they converge to the same value?
I don't quite understand what is implied by limn→∞|xn-yn|=0. Does this mean the lim(xn)→lim(yn)?

No, you do.

limn→∞(xn-yn)=0 means |Xn-Yn|→0

I meant you as a general you, meaning whoever is doing the proof, meaning me. Anyway, I'm not looking for answers so calm down. I'm just trying to understand the steps of the proof. Does limn→∞(xn-yn)=0 mean that xn and yn converge to the same value (namely, that x=y)?

Also, I don't understand what would be wrong with proving lim(xn-yn)=lim(xn)-lim(yn) [which I now figured out how to prove correctly], and then say that assuming xn→x then 0=x-lim(yn) and lim(yn)=x. Otherwise, if xn does not approach x, then of course yn is also divergent.

nyr:

Assume for a moment that the difference xn-yn is always positive, or nonnegative. What can you then say about Limn→∞|xn-yn|? Consider then all other possible cases re the difference xn-yn

1. What is Real Analysis?

Real Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers, functions, and sequences. It involves analyzing the properties and behavior of these mathematical concepts using rigorous mathematical techniques and proofs.

2. What is a sequence in Real Analysis?

A sequence in Real Analysis is a list of numbers that are arranged in a specific order. These numbers can be either finite or infinite and are denoted by the symbols {Xn} or {Yn}. Each term in the sequence is referred to as a "term" or "element".

3. How do we determine if two sequences have the same limit?

To determine if two sequences have the same limit, we look at the difference between the terms of the sequences (|Xn-Yn|). If this difference approaches 0 as n approaches infinity, then the two sequences have the same limit.

4. What does it mean for |Xn-Yn| to approach 0?

When |Xn-Yn| approaches 0, it means that the difference between the terms of the two sequences is getting smaller and smaller as n increases. This indicates that the two sequences are getting closer and closer to each other, and therefore have the same limit.

5. Why is it important to show that two sequences have the same limit?

Showing that two sequences have the same limit is important because it allows us to make connections and draw conclusions about the behavior of these sequences. It also allows us to use the properties and theorems of limits to solve complex problems involving sequences in Real Analysis.