1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy sequence; I need some help

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex]x_{n}[/tex] be a Cauchy sequence. Suppose that for every [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex] there is [tex] n > \frac{1}{\epsilon}[/tex] such that [tex]|x_{n}| < \epsilon[/tex]. Prove that [tex]x_{n} \rightarrow 0[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My problem with the question is I do not understand it.

if,

[tex]|x_{n}| < \epsilon[/tex] when [tex] n > \frac{1}{\epsilon}[/tex] ;

Doesn't that mean that [tex]Lim_{n\rightarrow infinity} x_{n} = 0 ?[/tex]

In which case [tex]x_{n} \rightarrow 0[/tex] because if the limit as n goes to infinity is zero, then the terms can be arbitrarily brought close to zero as n gets large enough.

What exactly is the point of me knowing that [tex]x_{n}[/tex] is a Cauchy sequence ?
    It doesn't seem like I even need to know that it is a Cauchy sequence. After-all, every convergent sequence is a cauchy sequence.

Am I missing something ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You only know that there is one n such that [tex]|x_n|<\epsilon[/tex]. You don't know that for example [tex]|x_{n+1}|<\epsilon[/tex]

If we take away the Cauchy condition then the sequence (1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,...) would fit the criterion

4. Sep 1, 2010 #3
    Sorry I don't follow.

Doesn't the inequality hold for every epsilon?

And given that n is not a specific number can't I just make n to be n+1 ?

And given your sequence, if [tex] x_{n} = 1[/tex] the inequality would not hold.

I am a bit lost. Please explain further.

5. Sep 1, 2010 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, let's continue with my example.

Let's pick [tex]\epsilon=\frac{1}{100,000}[/tex]. Then we need to find n larger than 100,000 such that [tex]x_n<\epsilon[/tex]. Well that's easy, n=100,002 works, since we know that's zero.

The point is that it doesn't say there exists N, such that for all n>N, |xn|<epsilon, it only says there exists ONE n for which |xn|<epsilon

Basically, the statement of the problem is that a SUBSEQUENCE of xn converges to zero

6. Sep 1, 2010 #5
    Okay I understand the problem now. I will think more about the problem and request more help if I need to. Thanks for now. I'll repost if i don't get anywhere.

7. Sep 2, 2010 #6
    Okay, I thought about the question and I am still not sure what to do.

Now that I know a sub-sequence in [tex]x_{n}[/tex] converges. So this means the following are true:

1) The Cauchy sequence converges since we have found a convergent subsequence.

2) The Cauchy sequence converges to 0 also , since the terms of the Cauchy sequence can brought arbitrarily close to each other. This is a Lemma in my book anyway; I assume I can use it.
    3) since the Cauchy sequence converges to zero this means [tex]x_{n} \rightarrow 0[/tex]

How exactly do I go about proving this mathematically ?

8. Sep 2, 2010 #7
    Can someone please point me in the right direction?!

9. Sep 2, 2010 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You basically have the right idea. If you want to get the sequence within [tex]\epsilon[/tex], pick N so that the elements of your subsequence are within [tex]\frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex] and the elements of your sequence are within [tex] \frac{\epsilon}{2}[/tex] of each other when the indices are larger than N and see what you can do

10. Sep 2, 2010 #9
    UThe elements of the sequence are within epsilon of what? 0? Are you suggesting some sort of triangle inequality ? Something like
    [tex]|x_{n}-x_{m}|\leq |x_{n}|+|x_{m}|< \frac{ \epsilon_{0}}{2}} + \frac{\epsilon_{0}}{2}[/tex].
    EDIT

I am not sure how to get the terms in the subsequence close to those of the sequence. Can you help me with this?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook