Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy trick for divergent integrals.

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    is this trick valid at least in the 'regularization' sense ?? for example

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{x^{2}-a^{2}} [/tex]

then we replace thi integral above by [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{x^{2}+ie-a^{2}} [/tex] for 'e' tending to 0

using Cauchy residue theorem i get [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{x^{2}+ie-a^{2}}=(i\pi )/a [/tex]

the same trick applied to [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{dx}{x+a}= 2\pi i [/tex]

however we have obtained a complex regularization to a Real valued integral, i have seen this trick whenever dealing integrals in Quantum Physics but i want to hear the opinion of a Mathematician.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2
    My opinion: what you wrote is worthless as mathematics. Divergent integrals (as in these two examples) should not be said to "have a value".

4. Oct 12, 2009 #3
    I am no mathematician, but when you "complex regularize" (whatever that means) I think you forgot to change your domain of integration. Probably that is why this result is finite.

5. Oct 12, 2009 #4

Landau

Science Advisor

6. Oct 12, 2009 #5
    The Cauchy principal value for a the integral of a real function is (if it exists) real. But of course, it doesn't obey the usual rules for change of variables in an integral.

[tex]
    {\rm P.V.}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{dx}{x^2-a^2} =
    \lim _{u\rightarrow 0^{+}} \left( \int _{a+u}^{\infty }\! \left( {x}^{
    2}-{a}^{2} \right) ^{-1}{dx}+\int _{-a+u}^{a-u}\! \left( {x}^{2}-{a}^{
    2} \right) ^{-1}{dx}+\int _{-\infty }^{-a-u}\! \left( {x}^{2}-{a}^{2}
    \right) ^{-1}{dx} \right) =0
    [/tex]

The second example is improper (and divergent) both at [tex]a[/tex] and at [tex]\pm\infty[/tex]. Principal value computation yields zero also in that case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook