1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cayley table for group of points on elliptic curve

1. Sep 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Construct the Cayley table for the group of points on the elliptic curve [tex]y^2=x^3+x+4[/tex] over the field F7 of integers modulo seven.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I'm familiar with the constructing a Cayley table, but I've not encountered the group of points on the elliptic curve before.

1. Am I right that over the field of integers modulo seven, there are only 4 group elements: the point at infinity, (0,2), (2,0) and (5,1)? (I took x=0,1,2,... found only these integer values of y.)

2. If I understand this correctly, the composition law is to construct a line intersecting any of these two points, and find a third point of intersection between this line and the curve. The problem is, if I take any of the 2 points above, I don't seem to obtain other group elements and maintain closure. Did I misunderstand something in step 1?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You're missing a few values in (1). For example, (0,-2) (or (0,5) equivalently). Remember that most numbers have two square roots!! So I would recheck your solutions in (1).

Also, I don't think your group law is correct. To my knowledge, to add points P and Q, we draw the line between P and Q and take the third intersection point. Call this R. Then draw the line between R and the point on infinity, then the third intersection point is P+Q.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook