Ceiling fan and impact force on the blades

In summary, the design of 4 flexible blades and a flexible central ceiling-rod would allow the blades to flex. This would reduce the impact of the fan on the target, but the ball would still travel quickly and with great force.
be unique
A ceiling fan has kinetic Momentum in 1 blade hitting a fixed target. Would the design allow the other blades to flex , reducing target impact? If the 4 blades are combined and bolted together at same velocity is different Momentum delivered?
Similar q : a human arm is about 8kg and a sword about 1 kg. Does the hand-grip cause less impact than if the sword is welded into a steel-pin locked onto arm-bones?
( I'm guessing the answer is 50% maybe and it's not Physics..) ( but photos of skull damage and Newton calcs. suggest "yes" ).

Physics news on Phys.org
be unique said:
the design
What design?

The design of 4 flexible blades and a flexible central ceiling-rod .

be unique said:
The design of 4 flexible blades and a flexible central ceiling-rod .
So you are asking us if a design involving 4 flexible blades and a flexible central ceiling-rod would allow the blades to flex?

At the moment in time of impact of 1 blade , will the other 3 blades have time to flex or will the total Momentum act on the 1 blade hitting target? This assumes the power is switched off shortly before impact so there is no added energy .

be unique said:
At the moment in time of impact of 1 blade , will the other 3 blades have time to flex or will the total Momentum act on the 1 blade hitting target? This assumes the power is switched off shortly before impact so there is no added energy .
See #2.

I gather Russ does not know the shape of ceiling fan and JB and I do not know something .
I believe if the target is un-fixed then the impact on it will be the same as if it's fixed. But a moving object with Momentum may have different principles ..

Last edited:
be unique said:
I gather Russ does not know the shape of ceiling fan...
I know of several.

" When the ball strikes the bat, it causes the bat to bend slightly at the impact point. That bend then propagates along the bat up to the handle, reflects off the end of the handle and then travels back down to the impact point. The bend takes about 0.002 seconds to travel up to the handle and back again. But the ball is on the bat for only 0.001 seconds, and it bounces off before the reflection gets back to the impact point."
It's the missing .001 seconds that worries me .

@be unique -- are you trolling us, or do you just have really bad language translation software and do not know how to post links to what you are asking about? Try CTRL-C and CTRL-V.

What links? The answer would be 1) don't know , which is OK by me ,2) total Momentum of all blades is impacted by 1 blade on target or 3) an unknown deformation in the whole fan assembly absorbs a portion of Momentum at impact .

Ok, well, that's enough. If you are serious about your questions you can PM me with something more coherent and detailed and I will consider adding it to the thread and re-opening it. Otherwise, thread closed.

1. How does a ceiling fan generate impact force on its blades?

A ceiling fan generates impact force on its blades through the rotation of the motor, which causes the blades to spin and create air movement. The force is then transferred to the blades and results in their movement.

2. What factors affect the impact force on a ceiling fan's blades?

The impact force on a ceiling fan's blades can be affected by various factors, such as the speed of the fan, the weight and length of the blades, and the angle at which they are positioned. Additionally, the air resistance and the motor's power also play a role in determining the impact force.

3. Can the impact force on a ceiling fan's blades be dangerous?

The impact force on a ceiling fan's blades can potentially be dangerous if the fan is not installed properly or if the blades are damaged. It is important to follow manufacturer's instructions and regularly inspect and maintain the fan for safe operation.

4. How does the impact force on a ceiling fan's blades affect its energy efficiency?

The impact force on a ceiling fan's blades does not directly affect its energy efficiency. However, a higher impact force may result in faster rotation and greater air movement, which can make the fan more efficient in cooling a room.

5. Can the impact force on a ceiling fan's blades cause noise?

The impact force on a ceiling fan's blades can cause noise if the fan is not properly balanced or if the blades are bent or damaged. Regular maintenance and balancing can help reduce noise from the impact force.