Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Celestia on Nvidia Hardware and Ubuntu OS difficulties

1. Dec 3, 2007 #1

Celestia runs fine, except when i go to satellites ( Hubble, ISS, etc). When i hit the 'g' key it doesn't show anything for the object, instead a blackish type sphere is displayed. I'm running it on an older system:

Dell GX240
    2.4Ghz Pentium4
    1gb DDR 2700
    Geforce MX440 64MB

I have all the Nvidia driver configurations complete, and direct rendering is enabled. I'm able to play Urban Terror 4.0 on this machine just fine, but Celestia...i don't know.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2007 #2
    Funny you mention that card. I installed an HP MX440 in computer just yesterday.

I just checked out Celestia's website and they did mention the MX series. Not the problem you're having though...

So you do have the latest Nvidia drivers? That graphics card it a little lower-end considering what's out there now, but it should still have some nice effects. Try adjusting other settings in Celestia... also try playing with the filtering and anti-aliasing under Nvidias control panel settings.
  4. Dec 5, 2007 #3
    Funny thing is that i have a Windows Machine with the same card here at my desk, and Celestia renders the satellites, just fine..weird. Setting changes don't stick in the NVIDIA configuration tool, that's another weird thing.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?