Center of circle from two points and a tangent angle

In summary, the problem at hand is finding the center of a circle given two points, one with a known tangent angle. The solution involves constructing a line that passes through both points and using the fact that the center of the circle is equidistant from both points. This leads to a system of equations that can be solved using a computer algebra system. However, a simpler and more elegant solution involves using a theorem that states the tangent-chord angle is twice the angle of the arc. With this information, the radius of the circle can be determined and the rest is a matter of trigonometry.
bkx
So my problem is this: I need to figure out the center of a circle given two points. At one of the points, I know the tangent angle. So I know (x1, y1, θ1) and (x2, y2) and need to find (xc, yc). I also need to do this on a computer so I need some sort of closed-form solution.

The way I have approached this so far is to construct a line with the equation

x(t) = x1 + t*cos(θ+pi/2)
y(t) = y1 + t*sin (θ+pi/2)

This line runs through (x1,y1) as well as (xc, yc). There is some value of t (equal to + or - the radius of the circle) where (x(t),y(t)) = (xc,yc). Given that center of the circle is equidistant to both (x1,y1) and (x2,y2), I equate the squared distances:

[x(t)-x1]^2 + [y(t)-y1]^2 = [x(t)-x2]^2 + [y(t)-y2]^2

I substitute in equations for x(t) and y(t) and use a CAS to solve for t, although I come up with an extremely long, convoluted expression.

I have the feeling that there's got to be a simple, elegant way to do this, although I'm just not seeing it. Can anyone provide some insight or suggestions on how to approach this?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Solved it! Found a theorem stating that the tangent-chord angle is twice the angle of the arc. With the arc angle, I can solve for the radius by r = chord_length/(2*sin(arcangle/2)) and the rest is trigonometry.

1. How do I find the center of a circle given two points and a tangent angle?

To find the center of a circle given two points and a tangent angle, you will need to use the following formula:

center = (point 1 + point 2)/2 + (tangent angle/2)

This formula takes the average between the two given points, and then adds half of the tangent angle to the result. The resulting coordinates will be the center of the circle.

2. Can I use any two points and any tangent angle to find the center of a circle?

No, the two points and the tangent angle must be related to each other in a specific way in order for the formula to work. The two points must be on the circumference of the circle, and the tangent angle must be drawn from one of the points to the center of the circle. If these conditions are not met, the formula will not give an accurate result for the center of the circle.

3. Is there an easier way to find the center of a circle from two points and a tangent angle?

Yes, you can also use the perpendicular bisector method to find the center of a circle. This method involves drawing a perpendicular line from the midpoint of the line segment connecting the two points to the tangent line. The intersection of the perpendicular line and the tangent line will be the center of the circle.

4. What if I only have one point and a tangent angle, can I still find the center of the circle?

No, you will need at least two points and a tangent angle in order to find the center of a circle. If you only have one point and a tangent angle, the center of the circle could be located anywhere along the tangent line.

5. Can I use this method to find the center of any circle?

Yes, this method can be used to find the center of any circle as long as you have two points and a tangent angle that are related to each other in the correct way. It is a useful technique for solving various geometric problems involving circles.