[ASK] Tangent of a Circle (Again)

In summary, the value of m is 2. This can be found by substituting x = 1 - my into the equation of the circle and equating the resulting quadratic in y to zero. This gives the solutions m = 2 or m = -1/2, but after rechecking the question, it is clear that the correct answer is m = 2.
Monoxdifly
MHB
If the line x + my = 1 is a tangent of the circle \(\displaystyle x^2+y^2-4x+6y+8=0\), the value of m is ...
A. -2
B. \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4}\)
C. \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4}\)
D. 3
E. 4

Looking at the circle's equation, the center is (2, -3) and the radius is \(\displaystyle \sqrt5\). If I know the coordinate where the line meet the circle I think I can solve this by myself, but I don't know how. Should I substitute x = 1 - my to the circle equation, or is there a simpler way?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Monoxdifly said:
...Should I substitute x = 1 - my to the circle equation, or is there a simpler way?

I think that's what I would do...and then equate the discriminant of the resulting quadratic in $y$ to zero. :)

Fine... Let's try:
\(\displaystyle x^2+y^2-4x+6y+8=0\)
\(\displaystyle (1-my)^2+y^2-4(1-my)+6y+8=0\)
\(\displaystyle 1-2my+m^2y^2+y^2-4+4my+6y+8=0\)
\(\displaystyle (m^2+1)y^2+(6+2m)y+5=0\)

D = 0
\(\displaystyle b^2-4ac=0\)
\(\displaystyle (6+2m)^2-4(m^2+1)(5)=0\)
\(\displaystyle 36+24m+4m^2-20m^2-20=0\)
\(\displaystyle -16m^2+24m+16=0\)
\(\displaystyle 2m^2-3m-2=0\)
\(\displaystyle 2m^2+m-4m-2=0\)
m(2m + 1) - 2(2m + 1) = 0
(m - 2)(2m + 1) = 0
m - 2 = 0 or 2m + 1 = 0
m = 2 or 2m = -1
After I rechecked the question, I did some typos and the option D was actually 2, so that is the answer.

Related to [ASK] Tangent of a Circle (Again)

1. What is the formula for finding the tangent of a circle?

The formula for finding the tangent of a circle is:
Tangent = Opposite / Adjacent
This can also be expressed as: Tangent = Sin / Cos

2. How do you use the tangent of a circle in real-world applications?

The tangent of a circle can be used in many real-world applications, such as in engineering and physics. It is often used to calculate the slope of a hill, the angle of elevation for a structure, and the angle of a projectile's trajectory. It is also used in navigation and surveying to determine distances and angles between objects.

3. Can the tangent of a circle be negative?

Yes, the tangent of a circle can be negative. The sign of the tangent depends on the position of the point on the circle. If the point is above the x-axis, the tangent will be positive. If the point is below the x-axis, the tangent will be negative.

4. How is the tangent of a circle related to the sine and cosine functions?

The tangent of a circle is related to the sine and cosine functions by the formula: Tangent = Sin / Cos. This means that the tangent is the ratio of the sin and cos values of a given angle. It is also equal to the slope of the line that is tangent to the circle at a specific point.

5. Can the tangent of a circle ever be undefined?

Yes, the tangent of a circle can be undefined. This occurs when the cos value is equal to 0, which means that the line is perpendicular to the x-axis. In this case, the tangent value is undefined or "infinity". This is often seen in vertical lines on a graph, which have a slope of infinity.