Center of mass and Newton's laws of motion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 3K views
Avaron Cooper
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


two particles of 2 kg and 3 kg are at rest .
a 6 N force is exerted on the 3 kg particle at t=0.
what is the speed of the center of mass at t=5s?

Homework Equations


F=ma
v=u+at

The Attempt at a Solution


first i applied f=ma to the 3 kg object and got 2 as the accn. And applied v= u+ at and got10 as the velocity but the answer is 6. Can someone show me where I went wrong please?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Avaron Cooper said:

Homework Statement


two particles of 2 kg and 3 kg are at rest .
a 6 N force is exerted on the 3 kg particle at t=0.
what is the speed of the center of mass at t=5s?

Homework Equations


F=ma
v=u+at

The Attempt at a Solution


first i applied f=ma to the 3 kg object and got 2 as the accn. And applied v= u+ at and got10 as the velocity but the answer is 6. Can someone show me where I went wrong please?
What is u?
What is the velocity of the common centre of mass of two particles?
 
U is initial velocity and is zero. Therefore I took the initial velocity of the center of mass as zero.
 
Can we consider the 6N force is applied to both the particles when considering them as one system eventhough they are not connected?
 
Avaron Cooper said:
Can we consider the 6N force is applied to both the particles when considering them as one system eventhough they are not connected?

If you have two footballs (not connected) and you kick one, do they both move?

Regarding the original question, is here a diagram to show the configuration of the masses and the applied force?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Avaron Cooper
One particle is 2 kg while the other is 3 kg and 6 N is applied on 3 kg one only.
 
Avaron Cooper said:
⭕2kg ⭕➡6N.
. 3kg

So, you calculated the speed of the 3kg object after 5 seconds and got 10 m/s. That's clearly not the speed of the centre of mass. So, let's think this through.

IF both masses were moving in the same direction at 10 m/s, THEN the speed of the centre of mass would be 10m/s. But, the first mass isn't moving. So, how could you analyse the motion of the centre of mass in this case?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Avaron Cooper
Avaron Cooper said:
One particle is 2 kg while the other is 3 kg and 6 N is applied on 3 kg one only.
What is your understanding of the definition of "center of mass?" Can you provide a general equation for the location of the center of mass of a system of particles?

Chet
 
I can't come up with one... Can you please help me with that sir?
 
Avaron Cooper said:
I can't come up with one... Can you please help me with that sir?
How did you think you were going to solve a problem involving center of mass if you don't even know it's definition?
 
I
Chestermiller said:
How did you think you were going to solve a problem involving center of mass if you don't even know it's definition?
I know what the center of mass is but I don't know any equation to find the center of mass. If I am going to find the center of mass I would take the torques and find it.
 
Can I equal the momentum of the moving object to the momentum of the whole system?
 
Avaron Cooper said:
Can I equal the momentum of the moving object to the momentum of the whole system?
Momentum is additive. The momentum of the whole system is equal to the sum of the momenta of its component parts. So yes, if there are two pieces and one is stationary (zero momentum) then the momentum of the combined system is equal to the momentum of the other piece alone.

[In classical mechanics], the momentum of the combined system is equal to its total mass multiplied by the velocity of its center of mass. So yes, you could use this line of reasoning to solve the problem.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Avaron Cooper and Chestermiller