Center of Mass Diagram Don't quite understand

In summary, the conversation is about a diagram with a U shape and 90° bends. The person is confused about how to interpret the diagram and thinks the thicker lines represent the wire. They eventually understand the diagram and thank the other person for their help.
1MileCrash
Physics news on Phys.org
It is a U with 90° bends instead of the usual smooth bend.

Still not sure I follow.. if the wire spans from point D to point E, how could it be bent at those 90* angles where shown?

The wire is bent at D and bent at E. I am confused about your confusion.

_ _ _ ==> |_|

Okay, my confusion was that the thicker part of the line represented the wire, and that the thinner lines were some kind of axis... really the garbagetiest diagram I've ever seen of anything.

Thanks for your help.

De nada.

1. What is a Center of Mass Diagram?

A Center of Mass Diagram is a representation of the distribution of mass within an object or system. It shows the point at which the entire mass can be considered to be concentrated and the distribution of that mass around that point.

2. How is the Center of Mass calculated?

The Center of Mass is calculated by finding the weighted average of the location of all the individual masses within the object or system. The location is determined by multiplying the mass of each individual component by its distance from a reference point and then dividing the sum of these values by the total mass of the object or system.

3. Why is the Center of Mass important?

The Center of Mass is important because it is a key factor in understanding the motion and stability of an object or system. It determines the point at which the object or system will balance and the direction in which it will move under the influence of external forces.

4. How does the Center of Mass affect an object's stability?

The Center of Mass is directly related to an object's stability. If the Center of Mass is located within the base of support, the object will be stable and difficult to topple. However, if the Center of Mass falls outside of the base of support, the object will be unstable and more likely to fall over.

5. Can the Center of Mass change?

Yes, the Center of Mass can change based on the position and distribution of mass within an object or system. It can also change when external forces, such as gravity, are applied to the object.