Centre-of-mass Energy of Colliding protons

In summary, the LHC can accelerate proton beams to energies of 8 TeV, which includes the rest energy. When colliding two protons, the center-of-mass energy is 16 TeV unless the target is at rest, in which case more energy is needed to account for the motion of the center of mass.
joakley

Homework Statement

LHC can accelerate proton beams to energies of 8Tev.
1. What is the centre-of-mass energy of two colliding protons?
2. What would be the beam energy needed if one wanted to reach the same centre-of-mass energy when colliding beam protons with protons in a target at rest?

Homework Equations

E2 = (pc)2+(E0)2

KE = E - E0

The Attempt at a Solution

Common sense tells me that two particles of equal mass and energy colliding head on results in all the energy of the particle transferring to "collision energy". So I assume an Etot = (8+8)TeV = 16TeV sounds reasonable unless I need to include rest mass energy, which i would have though is negligible. Does this Etot relate simply to Ecm?

I am having trouble understanding the loss of collision energy in the rest target case, surely all energy supplied to the particle for momentum must be conserved/transferred to the rest proton and there is no center-of-mass energy? I guess my understanding of what Ecm (center-of-mass energy) may be throwing me off slightly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LHC can accelerate proton beams to energies of 8Tev.
This is wrong, the achieved value is 4 TeV and the design value is just 7 TeV. Anyway, does not matter here.

joakley said:
Common sense tells me that two particles of equal mass and energy colliding head on results in all the energy of the particle transferring to "collision energy". So I assume an Etot = (8+8)TeV = 16TeV sounds reasonable unless I need to include rest mass energy, which i would have though is negligible. Does this Etot relate simply to Ecm?
Right.
The rest energy is already included in the 8 TeV (negligible of course...).

I am having trouble understanding the loss of collision energy in the rest target case, surely all energy supplied to the particle for momentum must be conserved/transferred to the rest proton and there is no center-of-mass energy? I guess my understanding of what Ecm (center-of-mass energy) may be throwing me off slightly?
The center-of-mass system is moving here, there is always a reference frame where both protons have an opposite velocity of equal magnitude. In the lab, you need much more energy as you have to provide the CMS energy PLUS the energy for the motion of the center of mass.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the centre-of-mass energy of colliding protons?

The centre-of-mass energy of colliding protons is the total energy available for a collision between two protons. It is a measure of the kinetic energy of the protons at the moment of impact.

2. How is the centre-of-mass energy of colliding protons calculated?

The centre-of-mass energy of colliding protons is calculated by multiplying the individual energies of each proton by their respective velocities, and then adding them together. This calculation takes into account the relativistic effects of the protons' high speeds.

3. Why is the centre-of-mass energy of colliding protons important in particle physics?

The centre-of-mass energy of colliding protons is important in particle physics because it determines the types and energies of particles that can be produced in a collision. Higher centre-of-mass energies allow for the creation of more massive particles and can provide insight into the fundamental laws of physics.

4. How is the centre-of-mass energy of colliding protons related to the Large Hadron Collider (LHC)?

The LHC is a particle accelerator that collides protons at extremely high energies, resulting in a large centre-of-mass energy. This allows scientists to study the properties of particles and forces at energies that were previously unattainable.

5. What is the significance of reaching higher centre-of-mass energies in particle collisions?

Reaching higher centre-of-mass energies in particle collisions allows scientists to explore new frontiers in particle physics and potentially discover new particles and phenomena. It also helps to test and validate theories and models of the universe at extreme energy scales.