1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centre of mass Momentum problem

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Three identical balls are connected by light inextensible strings with each other as shown and rest over a smooth horizontal table .At the moment t=0,ball B is imparted a velocity.Calculate the velocity of A when it collides with ball C.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Since no external force acts on the system,the CM will continue to move at [itex]v_0[/itex].
    Initially CM is present at ball B.It will continue to move upwards with the same velocity.Momentum of the system remains conserved at all times.

After that I am unable to proceed?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The CM will not move with v0. You find the velocity of the CM from the initial velocities of all balls.
    Yes, the momentum is conserved, and what else?

The string is inextensible that means also a condition for the positions and velocities.

ehild

4. Oct 9, 2012 #3
    Sorry.... Velocity of CM is [itex]\frac{v_0}{3}[/itex]

Yes I do feel some constraints are there but am unable to find them

5. Oct 9, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In what direction will the CM move? And B?
    Draw the positions of the balls when A and C just collide. What can you say about the components of the velocities?

ehild

6. Oct 9, 2012 #5
    The CM will continue to move vertically up with velocity [itex]\frac{v_0}{3}[/itex]

7. Oct 9, 2012 #6
    B will move vertically up
    A will move vertically up as well as towards C
    C will move vertically up as well as towards A

Now what their velocities will be i am unable to comprehend

8. Oct 9, 2012 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where are both A and C when they meet? What is their velocity upward (Vy)? The string is inextensible.

ehild

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  9. Oct 9, 2012 #8
    A and C will be together when they meet .Their velocity will be same as that of B since the strings are inextensible. i.e when A and C meet They have same upward velocity as that of B but at the same time they have equal horizontal velocities as well.

A and C will have equal horizontal velocities all the time so that the net momentum in x direction will be zero.

In that case when they meet all three have same velocity as that of CM in upward direction...Is that so?

10. Oct 9, 2012 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The magnitude of the horizontal velocities are the same, but the directions are opposite. So all three balls move upward with Vo/3, and balls A and C have also horizontal components of velocity.

What else is conserved during the motion? The strings exert force on the balls, but what can be the net work of the strings for the whole system?

ehild

11. Oct 10, 2012 #10
    The strings exerting forces on the balls are internal forces. "Net work of the strings for the whole system" ??? I have never applied that concept before...

I feel only momentum is conserved during the motion.

12. Oct 10, 2012 #11

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What about energy? Is there any external force? Is there any non-conservative force of interaction between the balls?

The normal force from the table does not do any work. The balls experience only tension from the strings. But the tension is in principle an elastic force. If there is some elastic energy during the motion in the strings, at the end when the vertical velocity of all balls are the same, they get relaxed again, as in the initial moment.
    So you can take that the energy is conserved and it is kinetic energy.

ehild

13. Oct 17, 2012 #12
    ehild...thank you very much

14. Oct 27, 2013 #13
    no........... we want the velocity of ball C relative to ball A when it collides.

15. Oct 27, 2013 #14

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Kishlay, we are not allowed to give full solutions. Show, what you think about the problem. We spoke about conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. What do they mean in this case?

ehild

16. Oct 27, 2013 #15
    ok ok............ i got the answer for this question . thanks...!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted